Pat Tillman and Mohammad Atta: Ethical Equals?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Rearden Metal, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Morally superior?

You must be feeling morally inferior.

You want to know which school morally equates killing civilians and legitimate military targets?

The school of the end justifies the means of course.

Regarding 911, along with the rest of the world I tended to support the initial actions in Afghanistan with some reservations of course (too bad they didn't finish the job, but they need the troops for Saddam....), but at least in that strike there was world wide agreement and also as there was a much clearer cause and effect argument.

As far as Tillman goes, he had his own agenda. Neither you, nor I will even know what his real reasons were.

He is considered a hero in this country, in other countries they consider their patriots heroes too.

#21     Apr 29, 2004
  2. I do argue for moral absolutes.

Start with this one:

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

#22     Apr 29, 2004
  3. Art... You made the statement, and I quote:
    "It is equally pointless to negotiate with anyone who will kill you if you don't agree with their position."

And I responded with, and I quote:
    "....are you saying that it is equally pointless for the terrorists to negotiate with the United States because the U.S. will kill them anyway for not agreeing with them?"

Now you made a direct statement and I asked a direct question to which I expected a direct answer. Now if you can’t or chose not to answer it directly, then I understand completely...that is your right...however, if you yourself can’t be accountable for what you say, then how can possibly expect anyone else to engage in a conversation with you? Wait...never mind that last question, just answer the original question if you can and then we’ll work on that last question.

#23     Apr 29, 2004
  4. Lol. You're a rookie. And again you prove there is no point engaging you in discussion.

#24     Apr 29, 2004
  5. "....are you saying that it is equally pointless for the terrorists to negotiate with the United States because the U.S. will kill them anyway for not agreeing with them?"

This is such a poorly written question, if it is a question, that may be the problem.

It assumes I believe the US will kill them no matter what. That is not my belief, but it is their belief that matters in a negotiation. I assume we will take advantage of them economically in our never ending consumption and capitalism habit, but I don't assume we will kill then unnecessarily. If we can keep them alive to be our economic slaves, that would be the USA's goal.

However, it would be pointless to negotiate with someone who was going to kill you no matter what you said or did.

The point, which may escape you, is that if someone believes that negotiation is futile, and will result in their death, then they will assume a die fighting position. WTF, they are going to kill me anyway so I might as well kill some of them on the way out the door mentality.

These people are willing to kill themselves for their cause. There is great power in that.

#25     Apr 29, 2004
  6. OK, my 'poorly worded question' just took your statement and put actual entities in it...so I'll plug in my 'assumptions' (and please recall that I asked you to clarify if I was understanding your statement correctly, before I responded...)
    It is equally pointless to negotiate with anyone (the U.S.) who will kill you (the terrorists) if you (the terrorists) don't agree with their (the U.S.) position.

So if it was poorly worded then I guess you should try and word your statements better in the future.

#26     Apr 29, 2004
  7. All of you fell of the boat to the left side, peace loving, the world should be a perfect place, fundemantal Islam doe not promote terror but the US does are a bunch of f**king retards.

As for the terrorists that blew up the WTC. How can any true American even remotely try to smpathize with them? The only thing that they understand is a he who has the biggest gun and is not afraid to use it rules. You can't reason with the fundemental militants, they do not understand negotiations.

Those challenged by the logic of the real worls do nothing but complain. I havne't heard or seen one of them come up with a viable alternative to the course of action that the US has taken. I wouldn't look to the UN either. They are good for nothing. I wouldn;t trust them on military or security matters as far as I could thow them. Hell it appears that they can not even provide aid to those who need it without skimming off of the top. Talk about ethical.

The liberal weenies need to grow up and face the reality of the world they live in and realize that it is not a perfect place and that there are people out there who would just as soon kill you as look at you because you have a different belief system.

I personally would love to travel to the middle east and experience the history of the region. However as an American I am a prime target for the damned radicals who hate all things American because of the "poison" that they bring. Mind you that poison is the concept of thinking for myself without having a cleric or Imam deciding for me.

Grow up you liberal weenies!

#27     Apr 29, 2004
  8. You blame your poorly worded question on a statement you say is poorly worded......and you say you were confused? No doubt.

#28     Apr 29, 2004
  9. The "liberal weenies" did and do understand the mentality of those who would rather kill you as look at you.

In fact, they stood up against them peacefully right here in the good old US of A when they risked their lives for the rights of black Americans in the South, American Indians, migrant workers, those racially profiled, women, gays, etc., etc., etc., etc.,

#29     Apr 29, 2004
  10. What a brilliant association!!!!

What you posted below about Truman is one of the darkest and least known aspects of WW2- nuking Japan was an unnecessary act of terrorism mainly meant to terrorize the USSR and the rest of the world.

The blood on the hands of and denial in this nation run spectacularly deep.

#30     Apr 29, 2004