Past Presidents weigh in

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ZZZzzzzzzz, Nov 4, 2008.

1. "Politics, when I am in it, makes me sick." -- William Howard Taft

“In selecting men for office, let principle be your guide. Regard not the particular sect or denomination of the candidate - look to his character...” Noah Webster

"A man is known by the company he keeps, and also by the company from which he is kept out." -- Stephen Grover Cleveland

"I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessing on this house (the White House) and on all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof!" -- John Adams

"As to the Presidency, the two happiest days of my life were those of my entrance upon the office and my surrender of it." -- Martin Van Buren

"With me it is exceptionally true that the Presidency is no bed of roses." -- James Polk

"To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace." -- George Washington

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Nothing brings out the lower traits of human nature like office seeking." Rutherford B. Hayes

"It is the responsibility of the citizens to support their government. It is not the responsibility of the government to support its citizens." - Stephen Grover Cleveland

"For this is what America is all about. It is the uncrossed desert and the unclimbed ridge. It is the star that is not reached and the harvest sleeping in the unplowed ground. . ." -- Lyndon Baines Johnson

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." -- Gerald Ford

"America is too great for small dreams." -- Ronald Wilson Reagan

2. "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." -- Gerald Ford

--------------------

I'll take that as my favorite. Homeland security comes to mind. No wait, HIPPA and identity theft comes to mind. The more privacy we have the more identity theft.

3. fhl

fhl

It is better to be defeated standing for a high principle than to run by committing subterfuge.
    Grover Cleveland

4. fhl

fhl

In the time of darkest defeat, victory may be nearest.
    William McKinley

5. fhl

fhl

The world is not going to be saved by legislation.
    William Howard Taft

6. Yup.

[​IMG]

California GOP Files FEC Complaint Over Obama's Visit to Grandmother

Claims Of Birth Certificate False

McCain Runs 100% Attack Ads in Final Weeks

7. I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
    - Mark Twain

:D

8. fhl

fhl

Always be sincere, even if you don't mean it.
    Harry S. Truman

9. fhl

fhl

Given that this is a thread on past presidents quotes, I think you just proved it. :D

A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education.
    Theodore Roosevelt