Password Security question

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by gotta_trade, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Question:

If I bring a laptop computer to a "corporate" business that has a somewhat sophisticated computer networking system, for a week or so, is it possible for them to get my passwords from the software or sites that I log onto while I'm on their internet server, (assuming they don't have physical access to my computer)?

Thank you,
    gotta_trade

2. As long as you're not joining their domain (which gives them full control of your box) and your broker's software uses some sort of encryption you should be ok.

IB for example has a check box to use SSL for all transmissions. You'd have to check with your broker to make sure they support that. And it's probably a good thing to ask if for all data, not just the login.

Damon

3. nonam

nonam

What are the pros and cons of checking that ssl box?:confused:

4. speed / security. Though with PC's today you won't notice the speed difference at all. I have several other brokers that don't even have the option of shutting off the encryption and I'm not sure why IB does.

5. What about my Yahoo password?

Is it possible for them to get my yahoo password?

gotta_trade

6. i would say if your biggest worry is your yahoo pw, you have nothing to threat.

But if you are carrying around top secret gov't files, nuclear codes and the like, don't touch the network :)

7. Yes, but in all seriousness:

If I bring a laptop computer to a "corporate" business that has a somewhat sophisticated computer networking system, for a week or so, is it possible for them to get my YAHOO PASWORD if I log on while I'm on their internet server, (assuming they don't have physical access to my computer)?

I know it sounds a little silly, but I would like to know?

Thanks,
    gotta_trade

8. if you have that much fear, don't touch the network....but you are in more danger of someone snatching your password(s) if you go over a publicly accessed wireless network. something like Starbuck's or a hotel.

but to answer your question. they could possibly have the ability, but most likely not.

if they are like most corps these days all that they may keep a log of are the URL's you visit.

9. Just checking now it does look like the yahoo login page is encrypted, but whatever you do after you log in is not. So they can't get your password, but they can see everything you do after that.

#10     Feb 21, 2008