Password managers?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by Scataphagos, Sep 30, 2016.

1. NoBias

NoBias

Call me old fashioned as well, but any password associated with a financial institution or requires accurate personal information I do not enter digitally ANYWHERE. Let alone trust in the hands of any third party organization.

I believe in the DTA philosopy (Don't Trust Anyone)

My method is simple. I air gap sensitive passwords (hand written in a safe).

For non sensitive sites I use a base password which meets most all PW requirements with an intuitive variable. In addition I use a common alias for these sites: false name, 123 main st, NY, NY... I see no reason to provide personal information to hundreds of websites.

#31     Nov 4, 2016
    userque likes this.
  2. userque

userque

As far as I can tell, they still have the premium option, but they allowed the free option to work on multiple devices. IOW, there are still some premium services that aren't free, imo.

#32     Nov 4, 2016
  3. userque

userque

When I compared them a while back, keePass wasn't sync-able between devices (Desktop, Android, etc.)

#33     Nov 4, 2016
  4. I think that's correct.

With LogMeOnce... if you want to use on multiple devices, you must store your stuff in the cloud, and that's their $1/mo option. (Free if you use only 1 device and keep your info on it.)

#34     Nov 4, 2016
  5. sprstpd

sprstpd

I keep my master database file on Dropbox. You can access Dropbox from any device. At least for Android, there are KeePass apps. I use Keepass2Android.

https://keepass2android.codeplex.com/

#35     Nov 4, 2016
    userque likes this.
  6. sprstpd

sprstpd

Considering that it is free and open source, maybe try it first and then if it does not meet your needs, upgrade.

#36     Nov 4, 2016
  7. Follow up... FWIW

Changed all my passwords to strong ones with LastPass. The 1st website I changed went "smooth as a gravy sandwich" and just like LPs instructions. I was thinking, "great... I'll work through these quickly". HA! That was the ONLY one to go as easily as LP said. Some others went fairly easily too, but others were annoyingly difficult. All of the "automatic" ones failed and had to be done manually.

If you decide to go this route, be prepared for a lot of "copy and paste", "editing" and "retrys". I eventually got all of my important sites done, but I wouldn't describe the process as "easy".

#37     Dec 4, 2016
    userque likes this.
  8. one reason i like Keepass is
    i can keep the data[base] on a USB stick, my computer, and on say Google Drive...3 places

is LastPass for Cloud storage only?
    [wouldn't use it then]

marc
    :cool:

#38     Dec 12, 2016
  9. userque

userque

I just double-checked to verify. On my notebook, it also stores the database locally so it can be accessed without an internet connection. I suspect this is true with mobile devices as well.

You can also export/import the database.

#39     Dec 12, 2016