password management

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by qdz2, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Ninja

Ninja

Well I think on this planet its still the reality.

#11     Feb 6, 2003
  2. Ninja

Ninja

Either you put the paper in a secure place or even better you just hide it among your other "normal" stuff. You could split a password over several sheets of paper or you could convert alpha numerics to ascii code and then split it and hide the numbers in an Excel spreadsheet among unimportant business data.

Of course you never should write down a complete password in one piece of paper and then put it in your drawer or your safe.

#12     Feb 6, 2003
  3. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

Not if you dont want it to be: its up to you as to whether you think its worth it to have systems in place that reduce the risk of loss of confidential information or systems compromise ......

Lots of companies think its ok to take the risk and sadly, they cant even put a metric on their books that justifies any cost for security - actually this is rather easy. .... Just goes to show the level of talent in many comapnies ....

#13     Feb 6, 2003
  4. I keep the piece of paper in a stack of other notes that I keep next to my bed. It all looks like scribbling.

#14     Feb 6, 2003
  5. Ninja

Ninja

Sorry, but we still have 2003 and a lot of legacy systems out there...

#15     Feb 6, 2003
  6. Ninja

Ninja

You forgot to mention your address...

#16     Feb 6, 2003
  7. I will give you my address, but first you must tell me what is your mother's maiden name.

#17     Feb 6, 2003
  8. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

"Legacy" ... Hmm ... Maybe a synonym for P.O.C. ? .. At most companies this is the case.

#18     Feb 6, 2003
  9. I once read about a system for random passwords generating.

Part of your initials or initials of another you are close to.

a # you like

The first four letters of the website/program written backwards.

This can not be found in a dictionary, has a random effort in case somebody breaks one of your passwords, but can be easy for you to remember.

Robert

#19     Feb 6, 2003
  10. Or use personal memories (First half of the name of cologne your grandfather used) coupled with numbers, like your weight or something. The difficulty of cracking passwords increases when numbers and various signs are mixed.

=BrucE123! Takes a lot longer to crack than just bruce or BRUCE12345

I actually ran a bunch of imaginary passwords looking like the ones I use through a Password retrieval software, but after it had been chewing for 72 hours and tried like a million combinations, it still hadn't found it. The app had a built in dictionary,large list of names and "easy numbers" (like 999, 123, 1122) combinations of which it ran forward and backwards. This was the first and quickest option. If you use common words it does not take long to crack the pwd. Unless you spell them wrong of course.

Use cartoon "words" like shazaam , urghh, yiiihaaa, uhu?heh!.

I think the name of this guy hia_iaa something makes for a nice pwd.

#20     Feb 7, 2003