Passed over.....by SwiftTrade?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by jjgallow, Mar 27, 2006.

How should I respond to being...passed over...by SwiftTrade?

1. Get over yourself and ask when to apply next.

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  2. Inquire what they would have liked to see.

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. Don't ever, ever trade again.

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. Inquire into more reputable prop firms.

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. Consider it an act of God, in your favour, that you don't have to work for them.

17 vote(s)
    44.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjgallow

jjgallow

Thanks Whitster,

I tend to disagree with you, but I also think that the most negative response is the one that I can learn the most from.

I was surprised, because I know my baseline knowledge was more than acceptable. Perhaps I took the wrong approach in exposing some of that. I don't think a good technical trader would find my comments condescending. They might actually think I'm taking stabs in the dark on some things.

In further dealings with them, I'll be sure to take a more humble approach. I realize that no employer wants to hire an ego. I also realize there's no reason for me to work there if I think I can't learn anything from them.

I'll be sure to emphasize that.

Having said it, I'm a pretty nice guy and I'm surprised using words like "Elliot Wave" would offend any trading company. I was also not sure how to respond to long term trading questions when applying to a proprietary intraday trading firm.

thanks for the positive and negative feedback, people :)

mnx and longhorn, thanks for that encouragement. I really appreciate it from you.

#11     Mar 28, 2006
  2. azmi

azmi

the questions you were asked were absolutely ridiculous - however..i get the feeling that you wernt turned down on your responses to the quiz because your responses were fine - a little coloqial and condescending but nonetheless, they were fine. A few words of advice...when asked a question..give a simple direct answer...dont go into backstories and how it relates to you personally - gives the interviewer you are a bullshitter. Secondly...you have given the interviewer the impression that you have pre-conceived notions of trading...Swift doesnt like that..which is why they hire fresh kids who know nothing so they can train them accordingly. Lastly...perhaps you wernt called in because of your physical body language and attitude during the interview and gave the interviewer a negative impression of yourself.

At the end of the day - this is a company...you are applying for a job...think professional..act professional..talk professional. It may not be worth much at Swift - but for any other job/company you apply for it will be the be all end all of the interview.

Most interviewers make up their minds within minutes of meeting someone that they want them or not...there is no second chance for a first impression.

Out of interest..which branch was this for? Toronto?

#12     Mar 28, 2006
  3. Your answers are conversational, which is not appropriate for an interview.
    Your answers are not concise.
    You often do not directly adress questions.
    You guess at what they are thinking with the questions. This is not appropriate.
    Your answers are sometimes too specific. You need to show some knowledge, but mostly just rational reasoning. Going into details about your trading can be a mistake, since the interviewer may not agree with your techniques.

More specific things:
    #3.

You say $100 loss... But the fair value is greater.

Long-term trading may be leveraged.

#4.

You missed the moral aspect.

#5.

First, talk to your supervisor.

#6.

You missed the moral aspect to the question.

#13     Mar 28, 2006
  4. If Swift is as bad as everyone says, they could have just lost your application or taken the first 20 "monkeys" that applied. Don't fret. Maybe the hiring manager at the next SwiftTrade gets wet.

#14     Mar 28, 2006
  5. mistake

#15     Mar 28, 2006
  6. Consider applying to the same branch with the same answers but worse spelling and also dropping in unannounced. I keep thinking of my Philosophy of Law professor that used to tell this story of how his grandfather got enrolled into Tulane Medical by literally knocking on the door.

#16     Mar 28, 2006
  7. it sounds to me like you are actually not really interested in being hired by swifttrade. and the interviewers might have picked that up.

why don't you save up enough of money and go to bright or another *pro*firm instead of "prop"?

#17     Mar 28, 2006
  8. You're talking about Fibonacci retracements, with Bollinger Bands along with multiple Moving Avg crosses to exit out of a position. I bet the manager didn't really understand what you were saying.

#18     Mar 28, 2006
  9. jjgallow

jjgallow

Thanks again for all the input, everyone :)

#19     Mar 28, 2006
  10. Magna

Magna Administrator

At the request of the originator of this thread it has been closed.

#20     Mar 28, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.