Partial TPs/Scaling out/Exit half, your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by iamnewuser911, Nov 7, 2017.

1. spindr0

spindr0

I'm just a retired retail investor/trader who has acquired enough to provide for my remaining days (2008-2009 put me over the top). Making BIG money is no longer my goal. Keeping it is the priority. So I "play not to lose", trying to make "some" while "hedging every which way". As long as I pay my bills and I'm worth at least a $1 more than I was a year ago, I'm happy. So in that vein, scaling in and out works for me. I'll take the singles and let the big boys hit the home runs and deal with the strike outs.

#31     Nov 11, 2017
    iamnewuser911 likes this.
  2. Puligny Montrachet? Geez... when you order "the best in the house", you really mean it!

LOL!

#32     Nov 11, 2017
  3. Same reason old people switch from equities to bonds in their later years.

#33     Nov 11, 2017
    iamnewuser911 likes this.
  4. That's a great lesson. I imagine most ETers don't "hold themselves accountable"... mostly because they can get away with it.

#34     Nov 11, 2017
    iamnewuser911 and Xela like this.
  5. spindr0

spindr0

Pretty much the case but bonds don't pay enough.

#35     Nov 11, 2017
    murray t turtle likes this.
  6. Used to be, they did. Now some may opt for more risk or just accept what they can get from bonds with their perceived capital risk.

#36     Nov 11, 2017
  7. spindr0

spindr0

Preferred stocks provide a much better yield but given that they've run up about 15% since last December's low, it's hard to find many of investment grade that are trading below par... or slightly above with a good call date.

#37     Nov 11, 2017
  8. qxr1011

qxr1011

===Partial TPs/Scaling out/Exit half, your thoughts?==

negative

#38     Nov 13, 2017
  9. %%
    100%% sure i would rather have some profits-than none. By the way i seldom use 100% sure in a stock market context.LOL:cool:

I also agree with IB founder, bit coin has no fundamental value, but i will stop spelling it bit con. and ''never use an ordinary investment vehicle[ {he is on a horse, in an older data ad.......}

#39     Nov 21, 2017
  10. What happened to this poster? Why does he not post here in ET anymore? I have reviewed his posts and this poster had a lot of good things to share.

ES

#40     Sep 9, 2018
    zghorner likes this.