Partial T1 Internet cost?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NOego, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Be carefully with inexpensive T1 vendors. Usually you get what you pay for:

"Cheap" T1 vendors may also hook you T1 line onto a shared internet connection like DSL and CABLE companies do. There are two sides to a T1 internet connection:

1. The data transport, hopefully running at the full 1.544mbps.

2. The connection to the internet. Frankly, who knows where and what you are getting here. Best ask your provider!

Example, I could sell you a T1 connection to my house (1,544mbps), but then only give you 384K of internet bandwidth.

#31     Sep 1, 2002
  2. SubEtha

SubEtha

I test the bandwidth often, and it always gets the full 180ish kilobytes per second.

The ping times are fantastic, one of the main reasons I got the T-1.

Guess I'm just lucky. :)

#32     Sep 1, 2002
  3. T1s are not as expensive as they used to be. You can get a partial for a couple of hundreds a months.

#33     Sep 1, 2002
  4. Skinner

Skinner

After coming back and reading about peoples' experiences, I think many people get confused about the "bigger" picture of Internet connectivity. It pretty much boils down to two things you want:

Price
    or
    Performance

If you can get a low cost T1/DS1 in your area with a "quality" provider, all the power to you. The major issues are not really with the "last-mile" but rather the backbone provider they are hooked up with. Some providers in this town do provide hardcore backbone with multiple DS3 (UUNET, Sprint, etc). You end up paying a pretty penny for the connection since they aren't big houses that can spread the cost evenly. Tier 1 providers fix problems fast, and are worth the trouble if you have trouble with telco normally (hint: they swing a bigger bat than I do to get crap moving! ;)

I personally think you will find less hops getting out of some cable outfits, where DSL may be more depending how they get it out of the LEC. Homework is a must on what service is like, as that is the real test. Finding people around you in your neighborhood to test their speed and connection is crucial.

I personally would suggest a T1 if scalping is your game. I've not seen a lower latency of the three (T1, DSL, Cable) with the other two varying on load/provider/backbone connection. If you are lucky enough to live in a neighborhood with Fiberoptic drops, you may qualify for live SONET service!! You could really get a whopper of a connection and qualify for DS3/ATM service, but you better be making a killing on your game to afford it.
    See the following if you're interested in *geeky* stuff:
    http://www.sprint.net/netstat.html

TTYL,

Skinner

#34     Sep 4, 2002
  5. Carboxyl

Carboxyl

Just want to differentiate Frame Relay versus T1 (fractional or not), they are not the same thing. Frame Relay is a packet-switching WAN service similar to the old X.25 except they don't do they error-checking/correction because that slows everything down (which is why X.25 is pretty much gone), they leave that function to the TCP/IP protocol now (or IPX/SPX)...whereas T1s are not really packet-switching services (because that's no Frame Relay Switch or ATM Switch) and more just a circuit for point-to-point connection (used for local loops or direct connection from site to site), they are composed of 24 channels of 64Kbps each, and so a fractional T is just that, whatever channels you are subscribing to instead of the whole pipe. Frame Relay is based on CIR (Committed Info Rate) and BR (Burst Rate), and they are provisioned by the providers. You never want your T1 to be smaller than the Frame Relay though, because data would be constricted at your T (local loop) even if data is flowing freely in the WAN cloud.

#35     Sep 19, 2002
  6. Carboxyl

Carboxyl

Just want to point out that DSL does not get hooked onto T1, etc...DSL is the last mile (local loop), and they connect to the DSLAM and the packets are converted into cells and travel through the ATM Switch WAN through the ISP...this is the reason why some lucky people living close to the CO has such good connection to the Internet because the ATM cloud is very fast, but DSL is bad for anyone with a poor copper grade for their local loop or their last mile is too far from their CO.

#36     Sep 19, 2002
  7. Carboxyl

Carboxyl

only if your DSL / Cable is reliable, lots of people ain't that lucky

#37     Sep 19, 2002
  8. nitro

nitro

Carboxyl knows what he is talking about.

nitro

#38     Sep 19, 2002
  9. sub7slak

sub7slak

I am constantly amazed at the amount of knowledge I learned from this web site...Forget college kids, you can get your education here on EliteTrader!

#39     Sep 20, 2002
  10. Carboxyl

Carboxyl

Thanks nitro, just trying to help :D

#40     Sep 20, 2002