Part Time Jobs for Traders

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by soltron45, Nov 6, 2008.

1. fantastic story, i love it, thanks for sharing!!!

would make a good article, et al

regards, surf

#51     Dec 8, 2008
  2. Find the shittiest cheapest apartment and learn to trade.

Don't spend any of your trading money until you amass profits.

#52     Dec 8, 2008
  3. tradersboredom

tradersboredom Guest

Start another side business.
    Real estate agents and outside sales reps have the most flexible hours.

i DO AGREE THAT TRADING DOESN'T REQUIRE FULL TIME HOURS IF YOU ARE JUST TRADING YOUR OWN ACCOUNT.

I'M LOOKING TO START ANOTHER BUSINESS THAT HAS MORE GROWTH POTENTIAL THAN TRADING.

I MEAN TRADING HAS NOT A HIGH GROWTH BUSINESS AND IF YOU QUIT THE BUSINESS IS DISCONTINUED CAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE ANYBODY TO TRADE YOUR ACCOUNT.

MOST BUSINESSES HAVE GOODWILL ETC AND ASSETS. TRADING AS A BUSINESS HAS NO GOODWILL AND ASSETS IF YOU AER JUST TRADING YOUR ACCOUNT.

IF YOU ARE BROKER/TRADER THAN YOUR CIENTS PORTFOLIOS IS YOUR GOODWILL AND YOU CAN SELL YOUR CLIENT LIST.

IT'S A BUSINESS IF YOU ARE A BROKER/FINANCIAL CONSULTANT IN THIS BUSINESS.

#53     Dec 8, 2008
  4. Surdo

Surdo

You can start by taking the CAPS lock off!

#54     Dec 8, 2008
  5. Haha, no. I'm a deadbeat. My time will come, but I have to slowly get back into a rhythm of sanity and hope life doesn't send any 2-sigma shocks while I rebuild my savings.

#55     Dec 9, 2008
  6. I just write software, but I'm not exactly in IT. So I'm not designing GUIs and such. My screen name is lolatency because I'm one of those guys who sits there shaving off microseconds to make sure our systems trade as fast as possible. I do stuff like speed up algorithms, look for fixes in models, identify when trading models break, etc.

#56     Dec 9, 2008
  7. Yes, daybyday, I am talking about principle. I was raised to work hard. I was told growing up that in America if you work hard and play by the rules, you can accomplish anything. I have come to find out that really the way it works it to screw or be screwed. This is not just me, I am talking about many others I know that just can’t get ahead.

My dad worked for more than 20 years as a self employed carpenter. He always had jobs, and always did very good work. But my mom stayed home with us kids and we lived paycheck to paycheck. We live in a small townhouse and ours cars are more than 10 years old. For many years we had no health insurance. Thankfully about 10 years ago he went back to college and got a computer job. He has been lucky to have kept the same job now for about 10 years. Needless to say, it was much easier getting a job in the late 90’s.Yes this is in contrast to the 50’s-70’s when a father could provide for his family by working at the local factory. When he retired the company gave him a pension. These days are gone.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t it just a few weeks ago on a Friday that Citi was rumored to be going under any day. By that Monday they had, I think, a $25 billion bailout loan. Meanwhile car companies that are broke, partially because they pay their employees too much, are forced to twice beg Congress for a paltry $25 billion for all three. I am no fan of bailouts, but that is one that I have no problem with, as long as the companies are forced to start taking steps to return to profitability, which may include union concessions.

Unfortunately I don’t see things getting better. IMO supposed free markets like what we have, have led to greed. This greed has led to the gap between the rich and the poor widenening, and the middle class to be wiped out. This has caused people to become dissatisfied with our country and they will naturally vote for politicians who promise to take from the rich and give to the poor. Eventually this will lead to a lack of anything being done as the poor will expect the rich to pay for everything, and the rich will stop working because all of their money is being taxed. This will lead to the end of America as we know it. Maybe I haven’t explained this exactly how I could have, but you get the point.

There needs to be a point at which companies will do the right thing instead of giving into too much greed. Either that or someone needs to stand up and be a good company, and their market share will rise because employees and customers will want to do business with them. I will try to start a company like that. I will have 3 goals: treat my employees right, treat my customers right, take market share from those who don’t. Does anybody know of any others, especially in the retail sector?

#57     Dec 10, 2008
  8. Thank you. I need to ditch the car. Last week it suddenly wouldn’t start and I had to have it towed. $1300 later and 3 missed days of work and it's working fine. The pizza places really are a rip off. I get 86 cents per delivery. That barely covers gas, let alone anything else. They don’t care, if I want to quit they’ll just hire someone else. It used to be very good money, but not anymore. Can I get a bailout? I will start looking for a more steady job in January. However, I’ve been doing that for about 3 years now. $10 an hour is by no means guaranteed.

As far as the prop firm, I pay 2 cents per 100 shares and get full rebates. I actually get paid to trade now. You can’t beat that. I only put up a small deposit. I have already counted it as lost. I’ve been there a little over a month now. I’m down a few hundred now. We’ll see if I can make some money and see if the check comes.

#58     Dec 10, 2008
  9. Good gosh, you go from rags to riches and back to rags more often than Jesse Livermore. Trading while working at the dating service seemed like the best deal. How did you manage to get so many $50,000+ jobs with what looks just a degree and some programming experience? You sure can’t find those around where I live (DC suburbs).

If I have learned one thing from life, it is that if things are going good, don’t expect it to last. If things are bad, don’t think that they can’t get worse. I am probably pretty close to my low right now. Resume’s, degree’s, experience, references don’t matter. All that matters is one thing, cash – in the bank.

Good luck to you. It sounds like you have been dealt some bad hands. Just try to save as much as you can while you have it.

#59     Dec 10, 2008
  10. Yes I still live with my parents. Although I think they are getting a little frustrated that I have not made anything of myself yet, and so am I. They see that I try very hard. I think that it would be a little different if everybody else was doing great and I was failing. Nobody I know is doing good right now.

#60     Dec 10, 2008