Paranoid Effect?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by NoviceTrader, Nov 20, 2002.

1. I recently started trading. I had been working pretty hard for over 3 years developing a system, paper trading etc... I have performed pretty well. I've had all up weeks and only a few down days. I had started a Journal online but it wasn't any good becuase I was leaving it vague and incomplete. I do keep a much more detailed journal at home. Personally I am pleased to begin my trading career under this difficult market environment.

Back to the point. I recently made an advance in my own trading style that has made my trading even better. The result had a paranoid effect. I have stopped entries in my journal. Its like I found a pile of gold and don't want anyone else to have it. Has anyone else experienced this??? This is an interesting emotion. Its selfish, greedy and secretive. I'm not sure I like it. On the other hand the more success the stronger I feel.

I'm going to call this the (Lord of the Ring's effect)

2. I think it is normal to have these feelings of possessiveness for those things we work long and hard for. I know I've searched high and low and endured many a deprivation to find my (potential) gold mine. I'm not going to tell everybody where it is. To do so would not honor my fortitude and inventiveness. To do so would say I'm not worthy. There must be reward for individual efforts or everyone would just lie around and wait for handouts, and that would get us nowhere.

"If one is lucky, a solitary fantasy can totally transform one million realities."
    - Maya Angelou

3. Don't worry about it. Come back in 30 days and let us know if it is still a problem.

4. I have the same problem. Last week I found a twenty lieing on the sidewalk and instantly grabbed it and hid behind a sign on the sidewalk. I knew "they" saw me get it first and that "they" would try to take it away from me, but I wouldn't let them.

I dodged between cars in a crouched position trying to find an escape so I would go unnoticed. I slipped carefully between alleys and dumpsters until I could make a clean break for it all the way back home.

I jumped over fences and killed a Pitbull in my paranoid frenzy to keep what was mine. I found it and nobody was going to take it from me!!! IT WAS ALL MINE!!!!

Finally, I got home and locked it away in a safe. Every few minutes I'd open the safe and touch the 20 dollar bill just to know it was still there and to reaffirm the fact that it was MINE ALL MINE!!!!

5. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

Hmmm. I would talk to my psychiatrist about those feelings:)

I am the opposite. I like to share what I have. It only makes sense to me. If I can get more people interested in trading because they make money, it makes the market more LIQUID which is a good thing.

Unless you were planning on selling your own video or book for mega bucks to the fools out there? Then maybe it is a good thing to keep it quiet?

6. Nice story. I hope you share that story when you see Dr. Melfi.

7. That story was hilarious. That's exactly what I'm talking about these emotions are worthless. They made me too serious. That little story made my day :D I love doing this. I think that's why I've had some success. Thanks for putting things in perspective.

8. yeah, it's called hit rate. That's the way you feel when it goes over 90%.

9. They

They

I heard some guy around here found the $20 bill I dropped

:mad:

They

10. Alphie;

What kind of drugs have you been doing?

Michael

#10     Nov 21, 2002