Parallel ports in modern (new) pc's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mgookin, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Do new pc's have parallel ports?

I have not bought a new pc in some time (I build my own now and don't know what the market is doing).

thanks!

2. nkhoi

nkhoi

the red one.
    [​IMG]

3. is that a yes to all new pc's?

4. nkhoi

nkhoi

haven't seen any laptop or destop without it.

5. thanks!

6. ron2368

ron2368

There are many current motherboards that do not have parallel ports.

7. gnome

gnome

If you get a mobo without but need one, there are cheap PCI parallel cards that work just fine.

8. GTS

GTS

You haven't seen a laptop without a parallel port?!?

You aren't looking very hard. I can't remember the last time a Dell laptop had one. My current laptop doesn't even have a serial port, had to buy a USB to Serial dongle.

Just checking Dell's site, the current Inspiron and XPS desktops don't have parallel ports

9. I'll clarify why I am asking.

I'm buying a new plotter and selling my old one to an engineering firm in the next city south of here. The old plotter has a parallel interface while new plotters have ethernet interface. I just don't want this plotter to end up 40 miles from here and then discover a connectivity problem.

I checked on Dell.com on a mid-level workstation and it has a parallel port, but I did not know whether its commonplace on modern systems to continue to use the parallel port or not, so I asked.

It sounds like there's a good chance that the systems in that engineering firm 40 miles south of here do have parallel ports. Whether I deliver or they come and get it is moot; just don't want the problem and don't want to raise a non-issue of that is what it is (and that's what it sounds like). It's a $1,000 transaction; not a big deal but someone will have some time and effort in getting this thing down there for them.

thanks to all.

10. GTS

GTS

#10     Aug 28, 2008