Parallel on iMac Vs Off The Shelf Windows PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by priyanknevatia, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I currently have a iMac and Macbook Pro. I am starting to trade currencies and unfortunately the software is only for Windows. So should I buy a Windows 7 License and use Parallel on my iMac or should I buy a dedicated windows PC / laptop for my currency trading.
    I am currently looking for the cheaper / reliable scenario. I will look into buying a multi monitor trading workstation once I make money trading.

Thanks in advance
    Priyank

2. Investor r/t from www.linnsoft.com is a mac osx realtime charting program works with free data feed from ib tws mac version.

3. Boomer

Boomer

I will tell you I was in your same spot not too long ago...I have been a Mac guy for about 6 years, so I wanted to stick with my MBP now that I am getting back into trading after taking a few years off. I bought the Parallels software and loaded up my trading packages and such...and I have NOT had a good experience with it. Computer is bogged down, responds much slower...

I am sure some will tell you it can be done seamlessly, and I am sure it can, but I am now in the market for both a PC laptop and desktop, because I just don't want to fight that battle.

My MBP has 4GB of ram, so I am sure it would run smoother if I had more ram and possibly installed a SSD...but I am just going to get a PC based laptop and desktop for my trading, and just use my Mac for leisure pursuits...

Hope that helps...

4. Thanks for your reply. What you are facing right now is what I was worried about.

So here is my next question.

Should I invest $1500 - $2000 in a good trading computer with multiple monitors or spend $700 - $1000 buying a regular PC to start with and then recycle and buy the trading computer later. I am sure I want and would need the multiple monitor systems in about 6 months - 1 year timeframe.

5. tortoise

tortoise

Get an iMac and run windows via bootcamp.

6. burn8

burn8

VMware Fusion is better than parallels.

-burn8