Panetta: Israel May Attack Iran In April, May or June

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Feb 2, 2012.

1. pspr

pspr

U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta won't dispute a report that he believes Israel may attack Iran this spring in an attempt to set back the Islamic republic's nuclear program.

Panetta was asked by reporters to comment on a Washington Post opinion column by David Ignatius that said Panetta believes there is a "strong likelihood" that Israel will attack in April, May or June. Ignatius did not say who told him this.

Asked whether he disputes the report, Panetta said, "No, I'm just not commenting."

http://www.boston.com/news/world/eu...tta_lets_stand_report_israel_may_attack_iran/

2. 377OHMS

377OHMS

I know some folks like Panetta but I have a very low opinion of his competency. Maybe he would like to supply Iran with the exact date and time of the attack.

Panetta is a hack you send to run whatever agency you are thinking about budget-cutting into nonexistance.

3. pspr

pspr

I don't care for Panetta much either but I feel he has been trying to keep a low profile in the Obama Admin.

I don't know why he would make this statement. There are several reasons he may say it but I suspect his main reason is to undermine the Iraelies.

4. TD80

TD80

Just like NK is China's junk yard dog, Israel is ours.

So you just let the chain out a little bit and then tell Iran "We just can't hold them back much longer, this is one crazy mother****** and this chain is giving way!"

It is passive-aggressive brinkmanship (which is any superpower's favorite, or at least should be, as opposed to direct confrontation) with lovely things like plausible deniability and the real threat that they could lash out (just like NK does sometimes).

Nobody is afraid of the dog if he's always chained up and never bites anyone.

Is the world fair? No. Is the U.S. a bully? Yes. Should Iran give up nuclear power? If they don't they had better develop a serious nuclear deterrent quickly, as the west is starting to line up just like in Libya, and I just don' t see this being a survivable situation for Iran (current regime) over the long run without overt Chinese or Russian backing.

5. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Agree with the attack dog analogy but disagree about Libya being comparable in any way to Iran.

Libya was a very small operation. Iran is a big country with lots of people and they have had money (oil money) and time to develop some air defenses. Their air defenses are radar directed.

Would the USA deliberately undermine the Israelis or is it our way of threatening Iran?

6. baro-san

baro-san

He's a politician, like his boss, A'bummer. Can run any organization, as he relies on his advisers to make the professional decisions. The less he meddles in the better.

7. TD80

TD80

First I agree with you "This isn't Libya" from a military perspective. What I am referring to is the western opinion at large seems to be lining up strongly now, which hasn't always been the case RE: Iran. If China really pulls the plug on imports, this will come to a peaceful resolution within a year, as it will be a economic suicide for the Iranian regime to try to resist much beyond that.

It is highly unlikely that we are trying to undermine Israel. The reality of Israel is, with no U.S. support (including weapons system parts/sales, U.S. naval support/capabilities [this is a big one that not everyone realizes], and implicit defense treaty), they are finished.

I'm sure I will be attacked for this by some radical zionists, but that is a fact folks. Israel knows it. We know it. Everyone on planet earth who is a mildly rational strategic thinker knows it.

So if your very existence depends on a country, which by the way, doesn't really need you as much anymore, because we have massive presence all around you now (See: Iraq, Afghanistan, a-lot-of-other-stans, Turkey, Libya, Saudi, Qatar, Bahrain, UAE, it's a god damned U.S. Military sand-lot over there), you don't go triggering a massive geopolitical cluster**** without Daddy's approval first.

I realize the Israelis are "crazy" etc but they aren't stupid. If the U.S. decides to hang you out to dry because your utility has been drastically reduced and you aren't getting with the program (ala Mubarak), you've got major problems if you're Israel. It becomes a NOW WHAT? situation in which the consequences may, believe it or not, be even worse for Israel than if Iran had a weapon.

8. Good post, TD80.

9. 377OHMS

377OHMS

I've been here a few years but have never seen (read) any radical zionists. Many say they are running around here but they must be very stealthy.

Radical Zionist Ninjas most likely.