PALM strike!

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by ptrjon, Apr 7, 2010.

1. ptrjon

ptrjon

PALM, which has underperformed, has some life in it yet. If you're shorting the stock, I'd suggest covering.

webOS is superior to any mobile platform. Poor marketting and poor sales have hidden this- but I interpret the Verizon price cut as a win for Palm- expect an increase in market share for Palm this year.

2. hajimow

hajimow

I have no position but are you long?
    PALM will be bankrupt in 2010

3. I agree, they're a dying brand. I used to love their stuff, but they have too much competition and no advantage. Even blackberries are starting to lose their edge. Palm has no shot, their best bet is to look to get taken over or just give up. but i'm sure someone would be willing to buy them.

4. ptrjon

ptrjon

I bought at 3.99 a couple of days ago. I think there's more upside here.

5. hajimow

hajimow

If you can trade, that is great but don't keep it long term.

6. cstfx

cstfx

Both Microsoft or Motorola are rumored to be sniffing around.

7. hajimow

hajimow

Those rumors are generated by traders. No substance. PALM has no edge and buying it will add no value to any companies. Do you know any one who has a PALM PRE? I don't.
    Even if someone buys PALM, shareholders will get nothing.

8. ptrjon

ptrjon

Palm has negative book value, negative past earnings, and estimated negative future earnings.

What sets them apart is the quality of their employees and the platform they've made- webOS. Palm made DRASTIC mistakes in pricing and marketting- which has led to the- nobody i know owns a palm-trend noted above. I think they're coming around.

Look into webOS- it really is worlds apart from other mobile platforms. The traders and wall street may not know it, but the techies do. My guess is that they'll survive and the stock will recover, or that they'll get bought out for a full price- something like $8/share.

Living on a prayer...

9. Ninja

Ninja

Palm products were always far from being superior. I had several of them and all of them had their problems, would crash, lose data, etc.

That's why business people started using different platforms, because they were frustrated with their Palms and Treos. Price was never the issue.

And then the Foleo disaster...

A couple of weeks ago I saw a Palm Pre in a shop and played with it for maybe 10 minutes. I mean nobody else was interested in this thing and I could have played with it for hours. Instead I gave up after a short time. What a clumsy and cumbersome device. They tried to invent their own version of an iPhone and failed miserably.

I can imagine a lot of reasons to buy a Blackberry, iPhone, Symbian, Android or even a Windows Mobile device. Each platform has its strengths. Who needs webOS?

Forget about Palm...

10. ptrjon

ptrjon

Don't forget everybody- there's always value in having more information than what the headlines are shouting.

#10     Apr 9, 2010