Palin the Barbarian: The More She Becomes Known to Average Folk, The Worse She'll Do

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ByLoSellHi, Sep 9, 2008.

1. In further news, Sarah Palin has said she would convene a sub-cabinet to study the problem of climate change. Palin does not believe that hydrocarbon emissions affect the climate. McCain not only believes in it but he's actively campaigning on a CO2 reduction platform.

At least we can agee that the reason we're not seeing much of Palin on her own in front of a mic and a bunch of reporters is that she is 'not quite ready for prime time'.

#51     Sep 10, 2008
  2. Actually, she did not say she "would convene" a sub-cabinet. She already convened it last year.

http://www.worldwatch.org/node/5879

A few points from the article:

A comment on this gang rape thing that you constantly bring up. Obviously those who believe that life begins at conception, would believe that aborting the fetus in this situation would be killing the baby. Do you believe in killing babies Nik?

That said, you carry the baby to term, and then you adopt it out. Frankly, as much as most of us would not wish anyone to be in this situation (to include I'm sure Palin), this does not seem be different than the burdens many victims of crime end up bearing.

Either way, this is only one issue out of many, many issues. Right to life/choose is not my issue frankly. I'm more concerned about things like size of government, tax policy, defense policy, etc etc. Interestingly, Palin seems to be able to segregate her personal beliefs from policy that she pursues. She has not pursued her right to life beliefs, and she did take some actions environmentally as the article above indicates.

Maybe the right to choose thing is an issue with you Nik, IF you had a right to vote. Unfortunately, you do not. LOL. But you sure as hell have alot of opinions, don't you?

OldTrader

#52     Sep 10, 2008

3. old man with ancient value system.

next he'll be telling everyone that masturbating is a sin.

after all, think of all the millions of "potential" babies being killed

the American Taliban. Not much differentiation from the Afghan taliban except the American Taliban have access to nuclear weapons.

#53     Sep 10, 2008
  4. Not trying to be evasive but Ron Paul is one great politician. I can't find anything about his anti-abortion views pertaining to rape and incest. He deftly ignores most candidate surveys.

It's also important to accurately state Sarah Palins view. She has said she would oppose abortion in the case of rape “even if it were her own daughter.” She makes no statement about YOUR daughter and she has not pursued any legislative agenda to “toughen” Alaska abortion statutes.

As far as my own views. I'm pro-life. I strongly disagree with Roe v Wade-I don't believe abortion is a constitutionally protected “right” and I do believe like most laws it should be a state issue. If New York wants it, fine. If Alabama doesn't want it, fine also.

Federal protection goes both ways. Because of Roe v Wade the Feds allow abortion in states where the majority of residents are opposed. OTH California approves of med-pot but dispensaries are frequently raided by the DEA for violation of Federal laws which are contrary to Cali law. A perfect example of why FEDERAL laws often suck. States opposing abortion are forced to facilitate it-states favoring legal pot are forced to prohibit it.

If my daughter became pregnant the decision of course would ultimately be hers. I would absolutely encourage her to have the baby and either I would take responsibility as a surrogate or we'd place the baby for adoption. I think it's doubtful that an abortion would make a victim feel better or that an abortion would erase such a horrible memory. As you know quite a few woman have birthed babies conceived during rape. Largely they describe the experience as cathartic and feel an innocent baby shouldn't be killed just because the father was a vicious criminal. While I don't favor laws forcing woman to make such a difficult yet humane choice-I applaud those who do and I like to think if tested me and my loved ones would make the difficult choice of life.

#54     Sep 10, 2008
  5. As I've said before, I believe in people having a choice...but for me I believe in life.

In the case of your parents, they definitely should have aborted. They have my sympathies.

OldTrader

#55     Sep 10, 2008

6. I not voting for her, but I dont see any thing really objectionable in this list.

#56     Sep 10, 2008
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

Agreed

#57     Sep 10, 2008
  8. Time to hunt some Dems?

[​IMG]

#58     Sep 10, 2008
  9. cuz69

cuz69

Most definitley OT... Agreed as well

#59     Sep 10, 2008
  10. Ok, a measured response, but I will challenge you on one count. You seem to be saying that if the majority in a particular state feel that it is imomoral to abort a pregnancy induced by gang-rape, then it should be made illegal in that state to abort.

My point in this is that it shouldn't make any difference what the majority think when it comes to this issue, because of the difference between a secular society and one that isn't. You are saying that we must tell U.S. citizens who live in that state that if they want to avoid prosecution for aborting a pregnancy caused by gang-rape, they should move to another state. To me, that is an abrogation of the rights that accrue to every individual as a result of their citizenship. Someone living in Alabama is not a citizen of Alabama, is he? Nope. He's a citizen of the United States of America.

Faith-informed beliefs should not be made into law, even when the majority of a state's population hold those beliefs (what's that? How do you figure out which is which? That's what the Supreme Court is for). This is the essence of secularism and the United States is a secular society, like it or not. If you had a state where the majority favoured forcing gang-raped children to carry to term pregnancies that resulted from the rapes (as bizarre and cruel as that seems to me), and you took away those whose views were faith-informed, you would no longer have a majority. There isn't a law on the books that reflects a faith-informed majority opinion. Not one

Those who want to counsel their kids to carry to term such pregnancies can go ahead and do so. However, a faith-informed legal mandate to do so is an abrogation of a agnostic citizen's rights.

With regard to what you said about your daughter and what you would hope for her, and also what you suggested about how gang-raped women feel about their pregnancies, I will take your word for it. If my 13-year old daughter were impregnated by a rapist, I would tell her that she should abort the pregnancy the day she found out about it. It is stunning, shocking and deeply disheartening to me that anyone could feel any differently.

#60     Sep 10, 2008