Palin Supports Employer-Paid Health Insurance and Legal Benefits for Same-Sex Couples

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ByLoSellHi, Oct 3, 2008.

1. ...doesn't McCain oppose this?

Can someone enlighten me how the evangelical base that has found an energizing and compelling force in Palin seems to not hone in on this huge difference with their own beliefs?

2. Are you sure?

She publicly stated that she does not support same sex marriage, so this seems to be a little bit out of characeter ... and way off the republican radar.

3. Your really going to start a thread about this? Maybe i should start a thread called Obama and Biden disagree on boxers and briefs.

4. hughb

hughb

Print | Close this window

Palin, Biden agree on gay rights at debate
    Thu Oct 2, 2008 11:32pm EDT
    ST. LOUIS (Reuters) - Equal rights for gay couples, a divisive issue in the 2004 U.S. presidential election, produced a rare moment of agreement in Thursday's vice presidential debate between Democrat Joe Biden and Republican Sarah Palin.

In an otherwise contentious debate, both Biden and Palin said they did not support civil marriages for same-sex couples, but both backed a range of other legal protections.

"No one would ever propose, not in a McCain-Palin administration, to do anything to prohibit, say, visitations in a hospital or contracts being signed," said Palin, referring to John McCain, her running mate in the November 4 election.

Such rights already exist in Alaska, where Palin serves as governor.

"In an Obama-Biden administration, there will be absolutely no distinction from a constitutional standpoint or a legal standpoint between a same-sex and a heterosexual couple," said Biden, referring to his Democratic partner, Barack Obama.

Asked if he would support gay marriage, Biden said: "No. Barack Obama nor I support redefining from a civil side what constitutes marriage."

Palin was likewise succinct. "My answer is the same as his and it is that I do not," she said.

Opposition to gay marriage was a factor in driving religious conservatives to the polls in 2004, helping President George W. Bush win re-election.

More than 25 states have constitutional amendments barring same-sex marriage, many approved in ballot measures that year.

Massachusetts and California are the only U.S. states that allow same-sex marriage, though several states allow gay civil unions.

(Reporting by Andy Sullivan, editing by Alan Elsner)

© Thomson Reuters 2008. All rights reserved. Users may download and print extracts of content from this website for their own personal and non-commercial use only. Republication or redistribution of Thomson Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Thomson Reuters. Thomson Reuters and its logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of the Thomson Reuters group of companies around the world.

Thomson Reuters journalists are subject to an Editorial Handbook which requires fair presentation and disclosure of relevant interests.