Palin Resigns as Gov of Alaska

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hayman, Jul 3, 2009.

1. John R. Bohrer

Posted: July 3, 2009 06:44 PM
    BIO Become a Fan
    Get Email Alerts Bloggers' Index
    Palin's Lamest Excuse

After getting over the initial shock of hearing that Sarah Palin is going to resign, it kind of makes sense when you stop to think about it. Running for reelection in 2010 would mean having to spend a lot more time (and contributors' money) in Alaska, and then being a lame duck would bring a steady stream of embarrassments.... So, fish or cut bait.

It would have made perfect sense for her to say something as simple as that. Or to take the classic political out and say she wants to, uh, spend more time with the family.... And Palin did say those things, in her own way.

But then she just had to go and be a martyr.

Some Alaskans don't mind wasting public dollars and state time [with ethics complaints and inquiries]. I do. I cannot stand here as your Governor and allow millions upon millions of our dollars go to waste just so I can hold the title of Governor.

This politicking was a step too far. Governors don't resign to save taxpayers' money. They are freakin' governors, one of the few people who can really affect fiscal policy in the states. They sign budgets, for crying out loud!

Now, are ethics complaints sometimes used for political gain? You betcha. But that's the price of open government. And Palin's mention of wanting to stop the ethics complaints makes it seem like she's got something to hide.

This wasn't your average resignation speech, and whoever wrote it was going after all the GOP soft spots. Perhaps the emphasis on ethics complaints was their only good way of getting the principle of "limited spending" in there? But if Palin is running for the White House, "RESIGNED TO FLEE ETHICS COMPLAINTS" is sure to make an appearance in attack ads.

Wow. It seems Palin couldn't even resign without making a gaffe.

#21     Jul 3, 2009
  2. Eight

Eight

I would love to see Palin as Pres. [hopefully she can find some good advisers] and Alan Keys as Vice President.. or maybe Ron Paul and Alan Keys.. those two guys have been shut out of every election they try to get in, Keys was jailed for showing up to a debate once when he actually was on a ballot somewhere, that was back in the Bush One days...

#22     Jul 3, 2009
  3. Why doesn't the public care is the question. Is it not obvious to everyone how these guys are getting shut out?

Heck, I thought Mike Gravel was the best democrat.

#23     Jul 3, 2009
  4. Paul Begala

CNN political commentator
    Posted: July 3, 2009 10:35 PM
    BIO Become a Fan
    Get Email Alerts Bloggers' Index
    Sarah Palin Turns Pro

I wish Hunter S. Thompson had lived to see this.

As Hunter said, "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Sarah Palin makes Mark Foley, the congressman who sent filthy emails to pages look almost normal. She makes David Vitter, the senator who was hanging out with hookers, look almost boring. She makes Larry Craig, caught hitting on a cop in a men's room, look almost stable. She makes John Ensign, the senator who was having an affair with a staffer, look almost humdrum (and compared to the rest of the GOP whack-jobs, he is). And she makes Mark Sanford, the governor with the Latin lover, look positively predictable.

It was an almost impossible mission, but in resigning from office with 17 months to go in her first term, Sarah Palin has made herself the bull goose loony of the GOP.

Let's stipulate that if there is some heretofore unknown personal, medical or family crisis, this was the right move. But Gov. Palin didn't say anything like that. Her statement was incoherent, bizarre and juvenile. The text, as posted on Gov. Palin's official website (here), uses 2,549 words and 18 exclamation points. Lincoln freed the slaves with 719 words and nary an exclamation; Mr. Jefferson declared our independence in 1,322 words and, again, no exclamation points. Nixon resigned the presidency in 1,796 words -- still no exclamation points. Gov. Palin capitalized words at random - whole words, like "TO," "HELP," and "AND," and the first letter of "Troops."

Gov. Palin's official announcement that she is resigning as chief executive of the great state of Alaska had all the depth and gravitas of a 13-year-old's review of the Jonas Brothers' album on Facebook. She even quoted her parents' refrigerator magnet. (Note to self: if one of my kids becomes governor, throw away the refrigerator magnet that says: "Murray's Oyster Bar: We Shuck Em, You Suck Em!") She put her son's name in quotations marks. Why? Who knows. She writes, "I promised efficiencies and effectiveness!?" Was she exclaiming or questioning? I get it: both! And I don't even know what to make of a sentence that reads:

*((Gotta put First Things First))*

Ponder the fact that Rupert Murdoch's Harper Collins publishing house is paying this, umm, writer $11 million for a book. Ponder that and say a prayer for Ms. Palin's editor.

I'm no latter-day Strunk & White, just a guy who was struck by Palin's spectacularly rambling and infantile prose. It bespeaks a rambling and infantile mind. But perhaps not. Perhaps this is all a ruse. Perhaps Gov. Palin wants us to believe she's an intellectual featherweight who is slightly shallower than an actor on High School Musical. Maybe she's trying to throw us off the trail.

Naah. A lot of people thought that about George W. Bush. He couldn't be so block-headed, they said. He couldn't be as childish and churlish as he came off. Oh yes he could. And so, too, might Ms. Palin be as vapid and puerile as her inane statement suggests.

We will know. In the fullness of time (and I predict, not much time) we will know. Again and again in her statement, Gov. Palin returned to the nettlesome ethics inquiries that have been visited upon her since she signed on to be John McCain's running mate. No doubt they are annoying. But does anyone believe that's why she's resigning? No, there's more to this story. And Ms. Palin's resignation only increases the chances that we will all know the rest of the story soon. Or, as she might put it:

We will all KNOW the "rest of the Story" *((SOON!))*

#24     Jul 4, 2009
  5. http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2009/08/sarah-palin200908

It's telling that many of those inside the Republican campaign in 2008 are coming out and talking about what it was like to have to 'work' with Palin.

I hadn't seen the speech. What a disaster.

Please remember, the right wing on here have called Palin 'a revolutionary' and said that she will be President in 2012. It's true enough that the THC content of today's genetically modified hydro is way, way up from the Mexican these guys were smoking as kids, but even that isn't enough to explain such statements.

#25     Jul 4, 2009
  6. guys, we need to start supporting her by sending small donations $$$

#26     Jul 4, 2009
  7. This Palin character is one stupid bitch.

The GOP had better sabotage her lest they be sunk by her.

She is an unmitigated disaster on every level and at every aspect.

#27     Jul 4, 2009
  8. good post, ByLo.

Now let's send her some money.

#28     Jul 4, 2009
  9. People like Pabst and others on here who supported that stupid bitch should never be allowed to vote again after showing their stupid judgment by supporting that idiot

John McCain should resign from the Senate immediately for the same reason

#29     Jul 4, 2009
  10. Div_Arb

Div_Arb

GOP is DOA for the next 20 years. Thanks Sarah-cudah!

#30     Jul 4, 2009