palin. Like Mother, Like Daughter.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Apr 8, 2011.

1. In 2009, Sarah Palin's daughter Bristol joined a teen pregnancy prevention nonprofit called the Candie's Foundation. Today, the Associated Press reported that the Candie's Foundation released its 2009 tax information, revealing that Bristol was paid a salary of $262,500.
    But a closer examination of the tax form by ThinkProgress shows that the group disbursed only $35,000 in grants to actual teen pregnancy health and counseling clinics: $25,000 to the Mt. Sinai Adolescent Health Center and $10,000 to the National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy.

http://thinkprogress.org/2011/04/05/bristol-palin-profiteer-teen-pregnancy/

2. Nice find.

3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

not a palin fan, and certainly not a fan of her daughter, but why is that bristol's fault or egg on bristol's face? if the non-profit group offered her a salary she then accepted to be the face of the group, but then the group only gave out 1/7th of the amount, how is that the fault of palin? it also shows the group paid more in tv advertising than it did to those organizations in the payout. is ABC at fault for that since they got that money?

there are MANY examples of businesses that overpay for a spokesperson and dont raise the money (or sell enough) to pay for the cost of the spokesperson.

i know, i know - capitalism isnt your strong point, tinkerbell.

4. Ricter

Ricter

Good points, all. We need to see the organization's mandate, for starters.

5. What does a “non-profit” charitable organization have to do with capitalism? Unless, of course, you mean squeezing money in any way possible and dealing with whomever is willing to pay you, quite independent of their history with donor money:

This organization is run by Neil Cole. From Candie's Company Website. Neil Cole has served as Chairman of our Board and as our Chief Executive Officer and President since our public offering in February 1993. In 2001, Mr. Cole founded The Candie's Foundation, for the purpose of educating teenagers as to the risks and consequences of teen pregnancy. In April 2003, Mr. Cole, without admitting or denying the SEC's allegations, consented to the entry by the SEC of an administrative order in which Mr. Cole agreed to cease and desist from violating or causing any violations or future violation of certain books and records and periodic reporting provisions and the anti-fraud provisions of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Mr. Cole also paid a $75,000 civil monetary fine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candie's_Foundation

Is that your touchstone of capitalism that guides you?

6. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

bristol palin is not a not-for-profit person. if you have a problem with the Candie Foundation (and i can easily see how anyone would) then place the problem there. but it is not palin's fault how the organization is run.

shall we go through some other examples of where celebrities are paid big money to speak for a "cause"? and yes, the organizations that hire them have paid big money - both for and not for profit organizations.

not-for-profit companies have to function in the free market just like regular corporations, and the things they buy cost real money.

the issue here is that you're trying to pin this on palin, which is asinine. pin it on neil whatever-his-name is and how he ran the foundation.

7. So Bristol whores herself out for profit, not because she wants to contribute to the cause of the non profit corporation she is whoring herself out to.

8. Reminds me of someone who would rather sell books,tv shows and speeches rather then actually contributing to the cause by being Governor

9. Clearly, this family is in it for themselves.

Such narcissism and duplicity is admired by people who regularly practice duplicity and narcissism...which is the audience that the Palins preach to.

I actually feel a bit sorry for Bristol. She seems like a nice, but rather stupid girl, caught up her mother's tsunami...

10. I do agree

#10     Apr 8, 2011