Pairs Trading Strategy Model

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Neutral_Al, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Hey Bob,

I opened the position on 9/20. I looked at your record... Do you have a system or do you scalp general correlation 100 shares at a time? What is your total relative P&L?
    As far as pairstrading.com performance, making 100,000 on 300,000 account in severe bear market over the past 9 months is pretty good.
    They think like hedge fund managers, not like daytraders. So, for them being market neutral and outperforming the S&P by more than 50% is an achievement in my opinion.

Al

#71     Oct 3, 2002
  2. Bob111

Bob111

yeah, looks like they are funds managers, you right about it, i just go over this site once again)))))). but, they make same money from hold position for days, which create more risk. why i should sit in FRE-FNM for ten days, if i can make same(or more) money between ALTR-XLNX today in just couple hours? i do have system,i also wrote software for pairs,still work on it + prices got so low,commissions killing me. i make about 9000 on 10000 capital for 3-4 month, then lost about 3000 in just few days.as you can see i have few big losses @ end)))))) work on it now.
    basically-all my losses come from me)))))there is nothing wrong with system-it very hard for me to take a loss(((((
    i still not prepared mentally for it.
    Thank you!

#72     Oct 3, 2002
  3. galtg

galtg

I've read all the posts and thought i'd put in my two cents..i use metastock to correlate my pairs , searching each night thru various sectors..i tend to trade only same sector pairs but i keep cross-sector pairs also..I've been watching fdx/rtn as a possible trade at r+1.75 but didn't pull the trigger ..today it moves ..for entries i have criteria that has to be met..first it has to be in a defined area of FLAt support(i don't like trendlines too much i.e.r/cnf had a good trendline until now).next the 21 day stoch. has to be way overbot/oversold along with either a 6 day rsi or a 5 day stoch which also has to be extreme..i look at fundamentals also but they aren't always reliable(didn't do much for s/low today)..right now i just started selling ip/tin r=.92..just my thoughts..i saw someone mention a chat room?..i'd be interested ..good luck all

#73     Oct 7, 2002
  4. Hi galtg,

Welcome. I am going to plug in your 21 day stoch with 6 day rsi into my correlation. Sounds interesting. Let me test it. If you like IP/TIN, you should love WMT/KSS and ED/TXU. A bit to scary for me. Quite a rare event. Not enough occurrences to produce good statistics. But definitely tempting...

Al

#74     Oct 8, 2002
  5. galtg

galtg

yeah ip/tin loks like something u'd want to keep away from.but i've traded this pair alot in the past with good results ..this was an extrordiary move ..but i figured with tin near a support area and oversold and ip just going nowhere it was time..and besides my stop is placed a point above..both firms pre-announced..i'll risk a point

#75     Oct 8, 2002
  6. I was looking into trading pairs, and I wrote a simple spreadsheet which was linked to TC2000, and basically followed some spreads that way.

Here is a link to show what my SS basically looks like. This hasn't been updated lately.

http://www.geocities.com/joebhernandez/spreads.htm

#76     Oct 10, 2002
  7. Bob111

Bob111

i dont get it
    if you interested-you welcome to see my trades somewhere here

what your criteria to find a pair? or enter into trade?
    Thank you!

#77     Oct 10, 2002
  8. nitro

nitro

bigj,

that is sweet.

nitro

#78     Oct 11, 2002
  9. Here's an updated version Nitro.

#79     Oct 11, 2002
  10. Bob111

Bob111

Hi !
    can you explain what is this?
    SPRD C1 MAX 5 MIN 5 AVG 5 MAX 20 MIN 20 AVG 20 5 SP DIF 20 SP DIF

also, did you try to build a chart from % difference?
    i did one for you-just pick one of your pairs.
    i hope you (and all other pair traders) will understand, that find a pair, based on correcation can be bad idea. like in example .

from correlation point of view-great pair!, but, if trade did not go your way-you never get out. unless-you have a stop loss.

just my word of caution.......
    Thank you!

#80     Oct 11, 2002