Pairs Trading Strategy Model

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Neutral_Al, Sep 5, 2002.

1. I'm wondering why this thread seemed to die out in July.
    Most of the pair traders I know lost lots of money in the past few months.

#381     Aug 9, 2003

2. How is that possible. I thought pairs trading was a no brainer. Just read this thread and you'll see where there must be some mistake. Maybe they were trading pear futures by mistake.

#382     Aug 9, 2003
  3. nkhoi

nkhoi

ROFL, hoho

#383     Aug 9, 2003
  4. This thread has been resurrected more often than a cat with nine lives.

#384     Aug 10, 2003
  5. ChrisM

ChrisM

Because whole idea brings hope for easier trading.

#385     Aug 10, 2003
  6. MrDinky

MrDinky

#386     Aug 10, 2003
  7. Hope? Which system is that?

#387     Aug 10, 2003
  8. ChrisM

ChrisM

Whole idea of pairs trading.

#388     Aug 10, 2003
  9. nitro

nitro

Hardly.

A property of many observed time series, call the series Y, appear to be non-stationary. For example, a simple form of non-stationarity arises when the first differences of a series are white noise. In this case we say the series is integrated of order one, I(1), and the differences: delta(Y) ~ I(0).

An important step in the statistical analysis of integrated series was the realization that is also possible for a linear combination of I(1) variables to be I(0). The variables are then said to cointegrate.

it is not that pairs trading does not "work anymore," it is that too many smart people are doing it now.

nitro

#389     Aug 10, 2003
  10. ChrisM

ChrisM

...which is the case of all "not working anymore" strategies e.g. trading systems.
    Trading is a business like any other, once competition in particular strategy is too high, the margins do not cover expenses.

#390     Aug 10, 2003