Pair daytrading ETFs - my favorite way to trade

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by KCalhoun, May 14, 2022.

1. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

I've been doing a lot of pair/hedge daytrading lately, and my biggest winning days all use it.

I simply trade long-bias SOXL when the market goes up, trail a super tight .1 stop when it looks like it's going to go back down, then long UVXY SQQQ when the market goes down.

Its like ping pong, just flipping from one to the other. It's much easier than constantly trading different daily gappers, bc you get to know the patterns of a few ETFs over time, and how to trade them.

Other occasional pairs = LABD/LABU, GDX/DUST

anyone else try this? soxl13may.jpg uvxy13may.jpg

Last edited: May 14, 2022
    richie90, R1234 and BKR88 like this.
  2. R1234

R1234

I do that as well with other 3x etfs. Do you sometimes overlap a long and inverse when the direction is unclear? For example long TNA and long SPXU simultaneously.

KCalhoun likes this.
  3. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Yes - great observation. I do that premkt too, eg SOXL and UVXY simultaneously, then scale into whichever goes up.

R1234 likes this.
  4. I agree, there's something to be said for trading market etf's

Not sure this is what I would call pair trading, as you are not in both at the same time .

zion, jys78 and KCalhoun like this.
  5. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

True, I used to call it arbitrage or hedging, but those aren't exactly right either.

6. Ken, if I am following correctly, what does trading the pairs get you above just going long/short one of the two?

For example, TQQQ and SQQQ are a pair. If I am understanding correctly, if you want to go long, you get in TQQQ, then if you want to go short you sell that and get in SQQQ (as a long, which because SQQQ is an inverse is effectively a short on the market). Why not just stick with TQQQ and either long and short it, to get to (I think) very much the same place as going the pairs route? Is there a reason pairs are better?

Thanks!

Aubryjoe and jys78 like this.
  7. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Hi - great question.. the reason is because i have open/pending orders in place ahead of time. i trade sequences of 2-3 trades in either direction with OTO orders... so for example a sequence in SQQQ would be long 52.7 53.1 53.4, and for TQQQ 32.2 32.4 32.7. trading opposites gives me time to set up orders (I do as many as 110 rts daily)

8. ajensen

ajensen

If you are able to time the stock market intraday why not just go long or short S&P 500 futures?

9. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

It's on my to-do list, I'm a stock/etf trader.... I want to start futs trading /es