Pacific time zone day traders – what is your schedule and sleeping habits?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Beezer-1, Jun 9, 2011.

1. bathrobe

bathrobe

Thanks for the post, I have been looking to eat healthier

#11     Jun 10, 2011
  2. Beezer-1

Beezer-1

My thanks to all of you. These are exactly the types of thought-provoking responses that I needed. I am serious about making trading work, and that’s why I want to model my habits after successful traders.

Because I am a night owl, and my day job starts late and ends late, I have decided to try trading the Europe open (ES. Maybe Euro too). Trading from midnight to 2am for me is easily done, and I will always be in a rested and wakeful condition during those hours. Then I can wake up at my normal time and still get around 7 or so hours of sleep.

I watched the Europe open last night. There was still a lot of volume being traded, although the speed of the market was comparable to NY lunchtime. I’m already used to that, so it’s not an issue.

The only negative I can think of is that my broker (Tradestation) does not give “daytrader” margin rates for ES (25% of normal) during non-NY trading hours. But again, this is something I can live with.

If for some reason trading the Europe open does not work out for me (strategy-wise), then I will have little choice but to wake up earlier and trade the NY open (or the grains). And as many have pointed out, this is a big change to make. I too have considered moving to a more trading-friendly time zone, but I’m quite happy here in CA.

Thanks again people. I’d like to hear more from anybody else who wishes to contribute. Plus any tips from Europe open ES traders would be appreciated.

Happy trading all!

#12     Jun 10, 2011
  3. speres

speres

I used to day trade the us markets when I was in britain, I only trade them now longer term since i moved,couldnt handle the hours. forget changing your sleep patterns especially for day trading as you need to be on top of your game. Trade a different liquid market. Theres heaps oz, asia,oil,metals, currencies, london , europe take your pick. The bigger the basket you have the better anyway:D

#13     Jun 10, 2011