Pacific Northwest Prop Trading

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by hanseng1, Jan 3, 2005.

1. pv150

pv150

I am looking to join an office in the area after trading retail (equities and options) for 2+ years. I may have to head south if my search doesn't turn up something :(

#31     Mar 16, 2006
  2. I'm in Seattle area myself.

Seattle area traders feel free to PM me...

#32     Mar 16, 2006
  3. Terminus

Terminus

I am looking to have an office to trade In. Any really interested in setting something up?

#33     Apr 21, 2006
  4. ajau

ajau

I'm thinking long and hard about moving to the Pacific NW to trade myself. Quality of life issues mostly. I'm looking at Seattle and Portland but I'm open to any state that is in the Pacific Time Zone that is not California. Now Oregon has that high "worldwide" income tax which is not good, but Vancouver Washington is a lovely mid sized city in the heart of the NW and looks to be very trader friendly. That, and its rigth across the Columbia River from Portland, Oregon which is an amazing town.

If we could get Bright or Echo, or any bigger Prop Shop to move in the area I would probably join.

What do you think?

#34     Apr 24, 2006
  5. ILZzz82

ILZzz82

I recently signed up to this site and I have an interview comming up with a company called Chimera Capital for a proprietary trader position. I graduated college less than 1 year ago and I am considering a career change, however, one thing that makes me a bit skeptical is the lack of a base salary. Can someone with any experience in this industry (specifically prop trading) give me a realistic idea of what kind of money I can expect in my first year? Also if you know anything about the company itself I would love to hear about it. Thanks!

#35     Apr 24, 2006
  6. Very few firms, if any, will actually pay someone to trade for them. I think that FNYS has a base salary for a few months while going through some training in NYC.

Most firms are looking for independent traders who earn their money via trading profits....either 100% to the trader (if they put up some risk capital), or a smaller percentage if they don't (not much of that going on these days).

If you're looking for a job (vs. discretionary trading position), I suggest you approach one of the stock/futures exchanges...learn the ropes their, move up when ready.

All the best,

Don

#36     Apr 25, 2006