Pabst's Blue Ribbon Trades

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Pa(b)st Prime, Mar 29, 2007.

1. After reading your last two posts a few times I've had an epiphany of sorts. You're right, even as a "position trader" I'm a quasi scalper. :p

If I was short a lesser amount of Bonds I would have stayed with a looser stop. However now you have me wondering if one isn't better served by micro-managing profit protection.

I'm cognizant that I need not outguess the market but rather anticipate what stupid thing I might do next. To wit: I'm bearish bonds. However I know that Bonds are capable of turning good at any time. Thus I think it's prudent since I'm overtrading a bit-to use scaled trailing stops. Because I'm a bear and by nature an aggressive trader I know I'll have no hesitation in reestablishing my shorts if I lose my position at bad prices. On the other hand I don't want to freeze with 20 Bonds on in some huge flight to quality move. It was a pretty sweet feeling Friday when bonds printed 112 for me to know I was flat at an average of a half point lower than there. (How freakin' ironic is it that Friday's high was the AVERAGE PRICE of my position entering the day: S @112.08 and 111.24) If I'd had full boat on at a scratch I probably would've hesitated. These days hesitations are going to become lethal.

When iniating I'm going to keep my max size in everything other than Cotton at 5's and be a bit looser.

To-morrow OT I'll post some of Dennis's position sizing instructions to the Turtles. I need to work out some calculations on ATR's in a few markets.

#31     Apr 2, 2007
  2. That's could be quite interesting hearing of position sizing from a scalper that keeps overnight positions!
    :p

It's a good situation to develop some original ideas.

#32     Apr 2, 2007
  3. For now: Staying short bonds, semi-worried about my Soybean puts and ready to puke some Cotton on new lows.

#33     Apr 2, 2007
  4. Sold 5 CTN@54.40

#34     Apr 2, 2007
  5. While ET was down (I tried to post it in real time) I bought 5 SK at 757 and got out of 3 at 764 and 2@ 767. I'm still short 5 puts.

I'm itching to sell some more bonds but I'll wait to see if they can break down out of this horseshit range.

#35     Apr 2, 2007
  6. Are you guy's watching Cotton? Holy Moses!! Thank goodness I only sold 5 of my 13 longs.

#36     Apr 2, 2007
  7. Good trade, but I wonder why you'd add a "Texas hedge" when you were already long and worried?

#37     Apr 2, 2007
  8. My fear early was that Beans would do what Wheat wound up doing, that is break 20 cents on air. But after I saw Beans hold up pretty well with Wheat and Cotton tanking I figured the least line of resistance in Beans would be higher if and when W and CT stabilized.

#38     Apr 2, 2007
  9. I'll probably regret this but just sold 5 more bonds@111.10.

#39     Apr 2, 2007
  10. I haven't traded yet today.

Open positions:

S 5 SK puts @ 20 cents

S 15 USM (ZB) 5-111.10 and 10-111.17

L 5 May Cotton and 2 July

I'm sticking with CT and the Bonds with wide stops. If Beans trade in the mid 780's I'll cover my puts.

I'm looking to be a very aggressive buyer of Corn basis 3.62 1/2
    in May.

#40     Apr 3, 2007