Pabst question about execution

Discussion in 'Trading' started by jem, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Rigel

Rigel

Optimism and pessimism are projections of some degree of mania and depression(which are distortions)IMO. The best thing is to try and understand things as they really are or can be and then act accordingly.

#31     Aug 16, 2002

2. No, not saying that...maybe I was getting too macro just now.

I'm saying, for one thing, that enlightenment and detachment are byproducts of understanding, not ends unto themselves.

It's like in skeet shooting, you don't aim directly at the target, you lead the target. If you want detachment/enlightenment etc. you don't seek them directly, you seek understanding directly and when you get understanding you experience the zen thing as a benefit.

Enlightenment is not a state of mind to be pursued. It's a state of mind to be attained through logical action that leads to understanding.

There are times when I feel like the market is eating out of my hand, when I know everything that is happening, when I understand who is moving what and why, when I feel like I can anticipate every tick. It's a great (and too rare) feeling. But it is born of study and hard work and logic and understanding. If I tried to pursue it directly, I would get nowhere.

I know about that power that mystics are so crazy for, that feeling where your soul feels like an exploding sun of happiness and everything is in the most intense color you've ever seen and your body is literally vibrating with excitement and passion. But you know what the kicker is? That feeling is born of boring old logic. Those 'hallelujah' moments come from internalization of REAL TRUTH. That's where rubber meets the road and east meets west, when aristotelian logic and the passions of the mystic meet and entwine.

And thus my big beef with easterners is that by dissing logic and not pursuing the beauty of true understanding grounded in logic, they miss the jewel, the prize, the truly amazing gift. Truth is better than any and all fiction.

#32     Aug 16, 2002
  3. yeah...but a person that subscribes to the teachings of taoism and buddhism might find himself perfectly happy and able to have a complete understanding of the world he lives in, of reality.

that obviously threatens dark, so he continues on with his tirades against anything that tries to explain the world we live in without reference to his gawd..

#33     Aug 16, 2002

4. are you morphing into faster now?

i feel threatened by nothing and no one.

#34     Aug 16, 2002
  5. Publias

Publias Guest

Funny you should mention target, read my first post on the thread entitled "Washers"... If it is one thing that baffles me about the posts from you and Jem, it is why you insist on thinking that I downplay technical or external skill, simply because I choose to also look inward... I am the first person to tell a new or inexperienced trader that he must perfect his technical skill (edge) before ever attempting to approach these concepts; actually if you look for a post from Negotiator you will see an example of it...

Let me ask you a question Dark... Do you feel you understand the word detachment as the Sages I quote intended???

PEACE
    Publias

#35     Aug 16, 2002

6. LOL

you don't even understand the connections or implications of what I said, or you wouldn't offer such an obviously illogical and short sighted response.

you don't even know what a state of mind is or what entails the creation of a state of mind and what influences it, or you wouldn't have said what you just did.

amazing. your combination of ferocity and shallowness is uniquely startling enough to practically make you a case study.

#36     Aug 16, 2002

7. http://www.psych.rochester.edu/SDT/index.html

why don't you set these guys straight in your wisdom dan. tell them hey dudes, don't you know all that crap you are studying is just attitudes and 'state of mind'?

#37     Aug 16, 2002
  8. jem

jem

Although I am opinionated on this subject, I see interesting points of view on this thread and I desire to avoid a blow up. So I request two things. One Daniel M and darkhorse stop attacking each other and just criticize each others concepts. Otherwise both of you will probably stop contributing.

Two- how about refocusing on what I see as the core of Pabst's question or observation. Why does John Daly suck (for him) and what can anyone do to reach/return to peak performance.

I have opinion's but I am really interested in seeing Darkhorse or others expand on this. Then we could see others tell him he is wrong and then we could see Publias explain how it is all part of the same thing.

This was not meant to be offensive just a little humor Publias.

So if contributors can ---lets get down to nuts and bolts of sports and trading.

#38     Aug 16, 2002
  9. Pabst

Pabst

Thanks Jem!

#39     Aug 16, 2002
  10. I haven't had time to read any of your posts today, been real busy.

Good to see you back.

Damn, your first day here in a month and 25 post or so today.

I know you type fast, but all this in twenty minutes?????:D :D :D

#40     Aug 16, 2002