PA Judge Refuses To Block PA Voter ID Law

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Aug 15, 2012.

1. pspr

pspr

A Pennsylvania judge on Wednesday refused to stop a tough new voter identification law from going into effect, which Democrats said will suppress votes among President Barack Obama's supporters.

Commonwealth Court Judge Robert Simpson said he wouldn't grant an injunction that would have halted the law requiring each voter to show a valid photo ID.

Opponents are expected to file an appeal within a day or two to the state Supreme Court as the Nov. 6 presidential election looms.

The Republican-penned law — which passed over the objections of Democrats — has ignited a furious debate over voting rights as Pennsylvania is poised to play a key role in deciding the presidential contest in November. Opponents had asked Simpson to block the law from taking effect in this year's election as part of a wider challenge to its constitutionality.

Republicans defend the law as necessary to protect the integrity of the election. But Democrats say the law will make it harder for the elderly, minorities, the poor and college students to vote, as part of a partisan scheme to help the Republican challenger, Mitt Romney, beat Democratic Obama.

http://www.wfmz.com/news/Judge-won-.../BreakingNews+(WFMZ-TV+69NEWS:+Breaking+News)

2. "But some of the people who sued over the law say they will be unable to vote because they lack the necessary documents, including a birth certificate, to get a state photo ID, the most widely available of the IDs that are valid under the law."

Question.

How do these people buy cigs and beer, enter a Federal building with no id? Can't get on a train plane bus with no id. You can't work without photo id, can't cash a check.

I understand the lameass excuse about being able to vote but c'mon you're either part of America and get a friggin ID and join the program or you're some lameass citizen in limbo voting for a black man, like they do in Africa, because Obama knows where the water is.

3. achilles28

achilles28

How is it any legal citizen doesn't have a photo ID?

4. pspr

pspr

That's the rub. It isn't the legal citizens the democraps want to be able to vote without an ID.

5. great point, you literally can't do shit without an id. Really how can ANYONE defend illegals getting to vote?

6. achilles28

achilles28

With much regret, America is going to hell. Totally lawless

7. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

I never understood this myself. Why is it such a big deal to have a government issued form of identification? What can possibly be the argument used to convince any sane individual against it?

I am asking someone on this forum who supports blocking identification type legislation to stand up and tell me why. I am genuinely interested in understanding your point of view.

8. hughb

hughb

I've had to show two forms of ID for every job I've gotten over the last 20 years here in California, usually a driver's license and social security card. I used my passport once.

9. Mav88

Mav88

oh we all know what the big deal is, stupid people and illegals are democrat voters, so the question is do the democrats really need sane rational arguments?

10. If Republicans thought they could actually win without voter suppression, they would want more voters, not less. 10 possible cases of mistakes in PA, and their Rep boy telling the R's how voter suppression will help put their guy in the white house. And, I guess steroids and other forms of cheating don't matter in sports.

#10     Aug 15, 2012