p/l thread 2007 skeptics and detractors

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by bsparkyman, Aug 17, 2007.

1. I don't suspect any fakes, but I am surprised by how infrequently a -$10k or bigger pops up.

I know a couple FX traders who could easily retire after this past week, but I haven't heard of any big losers. The retail stats show the carry crosses at 70-80% net long through that entire 1000-2000 pip rout, so where are all of those P&Ls?

#11     Aug 17, 2007
  2. If you cannot do that, you are not counted as a good trader. I don't think you can make a living on trading if you cannot make 10% on your efficient capital. Consider that 10% as your barrier to elite traders.

#12     Aug 17, 2007
  3. It is probably true that those who lose money in the markets are not willing to show their results in public.

#13     Aug 17, 2007
  4. <i>"You are telling me that 10% a month is the norm, you are nuts."</i>

Let's say I trade a $50k cash balance account. I trade 5 ES contracts per turn, risking -2pts or -$500 per trade.

Check my math... that's -1% risk per trade, right? 100 straight losses and I'm wiped out.

To make +$5,000 or +10% per month, it takes five winning trades of +4pts (+$1,000) on a five-lot turned. The par stops are a wash, the losses are -$500 per turn or less.

I don't care what the market conditions are... ES offers more than five +4pt trades per week, let alone month. Since the VIX went north of 20, we see ten - twenty swings greater than +4pts ES per session.

A good ES trader can average one helluva lot more than +10% per month over a long period of time.

#14     Aug 17, 2007
  5. I trade with less than 100k in my account. (I withdraw my profits every single week.)

I try to make at least 30% of my capital every month and have done so many times.

10% is really not that hard if you don't have a huge, 7-digit account.

#15     Aug 17, 2007
  6. Assuming that you are a day trader. You probably have $50k as your starting capital. If you are making 10% per month, you are making about $100k per year if you have no withdraw and you don't pay tax until next year. $100k per year is really no big deal. After your first year, you have $110k capital assuming you pay 40% tax on your income. Can you make 10% on your $110k capital next year? It will be much harder for you to do so for your bigger size capital. That's why professional traders can make a decent living from markets, but they cannot become very rich over years.

#16     Aug 17, 2007
  7. Good job! I am glad that someone is backing up my statement.

#17     Aug 17, 2007
  8. Its not a question of willing. To post ones P&L requires that one be motivated to do it. That means it makes one happier or more satisfied and implies that the negative consequences (IR getting onto you or personal attacks) are lower.

Its hard to see how posting losing days (unless rare) would motivate one. Similarly many wouldn't post because they perceive attachment or pride (depending on their religious / philosophical tradition) to be negative.

#18     Aug 17, 2007
  9. I think we shall find the appropriate piece of wisdom in this exchange from "The Rock" (1996) :

John Mason: Are you sure you're ready for this?

Stanley Goodspeed: I'll do my best.

John Mason: Your "best"! Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

#19     Aug 17, 2007
  10. trendo

trendo

mde2004

What % a month do you consider doable and not nuts?

#20     Aug 17, 2007