P-Coast in trouble?

Discussion in 'Options' started by freehouse, Apr 24, 2002.

1. sail

sail

Def,
    My wording was clumsy. What I meant by that was
    ...the large option market making firms existing structure on the floors could not survive in a level playing field...

#31     Apr 29, 2002
  2. def

def Sponsor

no problem, typing/english doesn't seem to be my forte either. I won't argue with your comments. It is no different than the nasdaq market making firms that lived off of order flow and are now trying to figure out how to adapt to decilmization.

#32     Apr 29, 2002
  3. Trajan

Trajan

I had come to this board to find info on this exact subject. My first job was on the pcoast. I have noticed many familar names go off the membership rolls in the last six months. It seems many traders on this board rate them highly compared to the other floor based exchanges. After trading on the CBOE, I would agree. Recent thoughts had me considering returning to market making, but I think waiting for the BOX is a better idea.

#33     Apr 30, 2002
  4. braye

braye

Some of you guys are so sorely mistaken and so clueless.
    Be very careful what you ask for, you may get it.
    I wish those of you who are posing as informed insiders and ex market makers
    could hear how ridiculous you sound. Mr. Weissman you are
    not included in this list.

Gotta go, I'm in the process of interviewing "exotics clerks", for
    my, "small boutique firm". I'm planning on paying them 100K.

Your friend,
    Evil floor trader who abuses customer orders and never
    honors posted markets because he's a greedy stupid bastard.

#34     May 1, 2002
  5. def

def Sponsor

enlighten us.

#35     May 1, 2002
  6. sail

sail

brave,
    Make sure that someone turns off the lights when you leave the floor the last time. I guess an exotics clerk will do.

#36     May 1, 2002
  7. mskl

mskl

what we want is exactly what we are getting. It is a slow process but we are finally getting better access to the option customer order book. More auto executions!

Look at what William Brodsky of CBOE said recently,

"While we had pioneered that in the area of retail order flow," he allows, "the truth is, we weren't showing that to the world." Referring to other promised, but unspecified, technological enhancements, he adds: "Watch us over the next several months. Mark my word."

The day after this article appeared the CBOE finally rolled out ABP to all equity options. I also expect the PHLX to do the same sometime in the third quarter of this year.

The longer each "manual" floor Exchange waits to implement better/fairer auto-x systems the larger the hole they are digging for themselves.

You sound so bitter and you also refuse to provide ANY details to your argument. I wonder if that is becasue you have NO argument and you know you will NEVER get what you floor guys once had.

This is how some react when they know they are WRONG.....

#37     May 2, 2002
  8. just21

just21

Remind us what ABP is again? I passed on trading EASI options yesterday as they only trade on the CBOE, PHLX and AMEX. Should I be using CBOE as a third choice now that ABP is on?

thanks

#38     May 2, 2002
  9. mskl

mskl

ABP - Automated Book Priority

It means that if there is a customer order on the best bid/ask and the market is NOT locked/crossed then you will be able to trade against this order via the CBOE's RAES system.

Generally these are the best type of orders to trade as the spread in the marketplace tends to be tightest when a customer order is in the book.

As for a "routing order" - I would say only this, that every Exchange is different and within each Exchange there can be differances how orders are handled. Everything being equal, the BEST route is:

1) ISE
    2) PSE
    3) CBOE
    4) PHLX
    5) AMEX

#39     May 2, 2002
  10. just21

just21

So how do you know a price is a customer order and not a market maker quote?

#40     May 2, 2002