Owning a Dog Can Add 10 Years to Your Life

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by vanzandt, Feb 7, 2017.

1. vanzandt

vanzandt

15 Fascinating Facts About Sgt. Stubby, the Most Decorated US Military Dog

[​IMG]

Sgt. Stubby — who was believed to be a Pit Bull mix — was the most decorated war dog in U.S. history. Here are some interesting things to know about this four-legged hero.

1. Stubby was a stray dog, wandering around a Yale University field, when he was rescued in 1917 by John Robert Conroy, a soldier being trained for World War I combat.

2. Conroy didn’t want to leave Stubby behind when his unit was shipped off to France. He concealed his dog inside an overcoat and smuggled him onto his ship.

3. Once he was discovered, Stubby became the “unofficial official mascot” of the 102nd Infantry, 26th (Yankee) Division in France.

[​IMG]

4. He was hit in the leg by a grenade in early 1918, but that didn’t stop him. He kept other injured soldiers company as he recovered. (Perhaps he was the world’s first therapy dog!)

5. Not long after his leg healed and he returned to the trenches, he was sprayed with mustard gas. Did this stop our resilient hero? No way. In fact, he remembered the scent and barked to warn the soldiers of subsequent gas attacks, saving many lives.

6. Not only did his sense of smell save lives, but so did his sense of hearing. He was aware of the whine of artillery shells before the soldiers could hear it, so he would bark to let them know they should take cover.

7. Because he was a lot shorter than the other soldiers, he could easily scoot under barbed wire in so-called “no man’s lands” to bring supplies to wounded soldiers.

8. When a spy began speaking German to Stubby, the dog chomped onto the seat of his pants and held on until his fellow soldiers arrived.

9. He spent a total of 18 months in France, participating in 17 battles on the Western Front.

[​IMG]

10. Legend has it that he even saved a little girl from getting hit by a car in Paris by pushing her out of harm’s way.

11. He was the first – and only – military dog to be promoted to sergeant.

12. At the end of World War I, Conroy smuggled him back to the United States, where the dog got a well-deserved hero’s welcome.

He met 3 U.S. presidents, led parades, and became an honorary lifetime member of the American Legion, Red Cross and YMCA.

[​IMG]

13. In 1926, around the age of 10, he died peacefully in Conroy’s arms.

14. He is on display at the Smithsonian Institution in the exhibit, “The Price of Freedom: Americans at War.”

[​IMG]

15. Sadly, this hero dog wouldn’t be allowed to live in housing on Army bases in the United States today. Pit Bulls, Rhodesian Ridgebacks, Doberman Pinschers and some other dogs are banned from military housing because these breeds are allegedly “dangerous.” But the only thing “dangerous” is the military’s unfair stereotyping of these dogs.

#121     Feb 16, 2020
    HeSaidSheSaid likes this.
  2. mlawson71

mlawson71

I hope he was well-cared for after the war.

#122     Feb 17, 2020
  3. He probably received better care than most of our injured veterans.

#123     Feb 17, 2020
    Baron likes this.
  4. vanzandt

vanzandt

Its funny. When all this bs first started and everyone made a rush to the stores to buy friggin toilet-paper and water like savages... know what first came to my mind and I went and bought? Doggy-food for Muttley.

Looking back... it never really crossed my mind until today... but I'm kinda proud of that. The whole toilet-paper thing.... not only was it (and continues to be) a mark of just how fucking stupid the general populace is... but in its mania... it shows just how many self-serving selfish fucks there really are out there.

Anyway, if we get an extra 10 years, now may not be a bad time to call in that marker. Kinda weather out the storm ya know.

Muttley's getting fat. ;)

#124     Apr 3, 2020
    Baron and DallasCowboysFan like this.
  5. fargone

fargone

Gosh I love dogs so much.

#125     Apr 4, 2020
    vanzandt and Clubber Lang like this.
  6. mlawson71

mlawson71

I miss ours. He passed away some time ago and we haven't had the heart to get another.

#126     Apr 7, 2020
    vanzandt likes this.
  7. NY_HOOD

NY_HOOD

A dog can also take years off your life if you get hit by a car walking it.

#127     Apr 7, 2020
  8. vanzandt

vanzandt

Yeah but at least you won't die all alone with your lungs on fire and a tube jammed down your throat.

[​IMG]:vomit:

Stay there please.

#128     Apr 10, 2020
    DallasCowboysFan likes this.
  9. elderado

elderado

Took me 3 years but now I have 3. Still miss my golden, though. This, not my dog.

#129     Apr 18, 2020
  10. shower routine of dog lover:
    1) turn on cold water
    2) turn on hot water
    3) wet his hair and body
    4) lather
    5) wash off
    6) sing "Piano Man"
    7) oh! check for ticks :)

#130     Apr 20, 2020
    vanzandt likes this.