Owning a Dog Can Add 10 Years to Your Life

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by vanzandt, Feb 7, 2017.

1. mlawson71

mlawson71

...That sure is one way to cross a street. :D

#101     Nov 20, 2019
  2. #102     Nov 26, 2019
  3. According to one research, the average dog owner tends to earn more money than his cat-loving counterpart ($47,000 versus $40,000), but the latter is four times more likely to work in the creative field.

With that extra income, it should come as no surprise that dog people tend to spend 33% more on clothing and accessories and 26% more on entertainment. About that entertainment business: Cat people apparently like documentaries, musicals and indie films whereas dog owners prefer romcoms, horror and action flicks.

#103     Nov 27, 2019
    Baron likes this.
  4. mlawson71

mlawson71

What about people who like both?

#104     Nov 27, 2019
  5. vanzandt

vanzandt

[​IMG]

#105     Nov 27, 2019
  6. vanzandt

vanzandt

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...nality-differences-between-dog-and-cat-owners

My study involved 6,149 people, aged 16 to 94. I attempted to get as many dog owners as I could, so this group included 3,362 dog owners, but also 1,223 people who only owned cats, and 1,564 people who owned neither a cat nor a dog.

My results showed that people who owned only cats seemed to be somewhat different than dog owners, or people who owned both dogs and cats, in terms of their personalities. People who own both dogs and cats seem to be much like the people who own only dogs. You should keep this in mind, since from here on, at least for the purposes of this discussion, when I mention a cat owner, I mean someone who lives only with a cat, while when I mention dog owners, I will mean a person who owns a dog or both a dog and a cat.

According to my data, cat owners were one-third more likely to live alone than dog owners and twice as likely to live in an apartment or flat. Being married, living in a house, and having children living in the home are all factors that are more likely for dog owners than cat owners. A single woman was the most likely individual to have a cat. Of the people who grew up in a house with cats as pets, 47 percent were likely to have cats today, while only 11 percent of people whose childhood years were spent in a house with a dog have only a cat as a pet.

Turning to the personality profile of the person who owns only cats, we find a reasonable overlap with Gosling's recent findings. To begin with, we find that people who own only cats tend to be relatively introverted (low on extroversion) and also reasonably cool (low in warmth or agreeableness), which is the pattern confirmed by the more recent data.

Looking at the other two measures, we find that cat owners are relatively low in dominance. People who are high on dominance are generally described as being forceful, assertive, persistent, self-assured, and self-confident. They are the people who stand out in social gatherings, as opposed to people who are low in dominance that come across as being more timid, bashful, shy, and unaggressive. The final dimension that I looked at was trust, and cat owners appear to be fairly trusting. People high on this dimension are often described as obliging, modest, straightforward, and "good sports." People low on this dimension can be more suspicious and manipulative.

The general pattern that comes out of both studies is that dog owners are more social, interactive, and accepting, and cat owners (who own cats exclusively) are more introverted, self-contained, and less sociable.

Perhaps one of the most telling differences between dog and cat owners is illustrated in a single comparison. I asked people who own only cats, "If you had adequate living space, and there were no objections from other people in your life, and someone gave you a puppy as a gift, would you keep it?" The answer to this was compared to what I got when I asked people who own only dogs the same question about a kitten. More than two-thirds of the cat owners (68 percent) said that they would not accept a dog as a pet, while almost the same number of dog owners (70 percent) said that they would admit the cat into their household. This suggests that most people who own only a dog are potentially dog and cat owners, while most people who own only a cat are exclusively cat owners.

Copyright SC Psychological Enterprises Ltd. May not be reprinted or reposted without permission.
    (...oops)

#106     Nov 27, 2019
    mlawson71 likes this.
  7. Farmas

Farmas

This dude made my day!

#107     Dec 1, 2019
  8. Farmas

Farmas

This theme inspired me to get a dog. Now I have a puppy of Australian shepherds. This is a very smart and loyal dog. I choose her different cool dog toys check. Every day we go for a run.

#108     Jan 6, 2020
    vanzandt likes this.
  9. vanzandt

vanzandt

They are great great dogs, but they definitely need space and something to do. Running with her is great, but when you get home ready to drop... she's just getting warmed up.

They are by far and away one of the naturally smartest breeds, but they need a job or they will find something to do, and that something may be something that's somewhat undesirable to you lol.

I had one for a bit, great bloodlines, great breeder... but after a couple weeks I knew where we were living at the time wasn't right for him and we took him back to the breeder (who had an actual farm). I ate what we paid, but it was the right thing to do. But if you've got a place where she can run and you don't have to worry about cars and stuff.... if you work with her (lots of treats)... she will learn tricks and go airborne for a frisbee like no other. Good luck. Post a pic.

#109     Jan 6, 2020
  10. destriero

destriero

Dogs are fucking awesome. As a nontheist it's the only evidence that God exists.

I have two Newfs and two Poodles. One black and one bronze Newf; both Poodles are chocolate (one mini, one std). The Poodles are incandescently-smart. I probably won't get any Newfs in the future due to the shedding and the slobber, but I love 'em so.

We've never left the dogs home alone. We were in The Bahamas and Martinique this Summer and I had relatives stay with the dogs.

2020-01-06_17-42-33.png

#110     Jan 6, 2020