Overwhelming Majority Of Americans Support Gov't Health Care Even If Taxes Rise

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ByLoSellHi, Mar 1, 2007.

1. mtwokay

mtwokay

I totally agree!!!

GETTING GOVERNMENT OUT OF HEALTH CARE IS STEP #1 TO REDUCING COST AND IMPROVING QUALITY OF SERVICE.

We have too many examples of how government screws up the free market system to even consider going down this path of universal health care.

#51     Mar 2, 2007
  2. #52     Mar 2, 2007
  3. Do away with government funded health care?

Nothing spells political suicide faster than trying to pitch that to AARP.

It will never happen.

Also, and to reiterate it, we are all paying for emergency care for the uninsured now, anyways.

The challenge with trying to craft healthcare solutions is that technology, the driving force behind cost reductions in private business typically, actually has the reverse effect in healthcare. Technology drives the cost up, now down.

That new 3d Imaging, Endoscopic, Surgery Apparatus, or whole body scan? It's big, big money to buy it, and big, big money to pay people to use it.

#53     Mar 2, 2007
  4. How is this different than your local HMO refusing you services it doesn't want to pay for?

The problem of overspending on health care services is not limited to the UK. It's a global problem.

Of course, if you don't like what your HMO offers you you can always head out to the private sector yourself -- the same in the UK of course.

#54     Mar 2, 2007
  5. Its very different. I have choices of HMO's and service levels. My HMO has never refused anything so far.

This is another rob from the rich to pay for the poor scheme, and guess what? Ive youre making over 50K you are considered rich. I will get taxed to death to support all the slackers with no healthcare. Is that fair? Healthcare is not a right.

#55     Mar 2, 2007
  6. I think the government should just pay the health insurance premiums for everyone in the country. Self employed people are paying like $430/month per person for an HMO plan in my old state NJ for health insurance. That's almost $1,300 per month for a family of 3. Totally ridiculous! That's why like 1 out of 6 people in this country go without health insurance; it's too damn expensive for most people, especially if they are self employed,unemployed, or if their company doesn't offer it.

Anyone know how people qualify for Medicaid? What is the top income level that one can have to get Medicaid?

#56     Mar 2, 2007
  7. You don't get it.

Anyone with a debilitating illness is a "slacker" to an insurance company. They're in the business to make money. So, they only provide treatment to the level where they can make a profit. How many times have you heard the term "uninsurable" bandied about. Like I said in another post, take a look at the profitability of these companies. I posted about this in another thread on ET a year ago or so I think.

Anyway, if you haven't been refused service yet you're fortunate -- and probably younger. I could tell you lots of stories of people dying early due to "insurance companies."

More importantly, public health is a necessity. Like I said look at how they do things in third world countries. You think your paying for "slackers" but your paying to keep epidemics -- and food poisoning, mad cow, etc.. insofar as you pay taxes -- from breaking out regularly.

#57     Mar 2, 2007
  8. You know, the old and the poor will eventually vote you out of all your money. This is just the start. When are we going to take a stand and say NO, sorry, you should have saved enough money, you only F-ed yourself and im not going to pay for it???

We will effectively become slaves of the old via govt proxy.

#58     Mar 2, 2007
  9. As another poster pointed out, the whole industry is subsidized by Medicare. Don't beat your chest too strongly about how you are paying your way. When Medicare blows up in 10 years or so you'll see.

#59     Mar 2, 2007
  10. This begs the question, what would the government do in the same scenario? Where would the money come from, it doesnt magically grow on tree's. Thats right, from the taxpayer, therefore govt healthcare will be more expensive via taxes and all the BS government overhead and middlemen that will be added to the equation.

Its precisely the profit motive that makes companies work well. Where is the motive for government employees to provide service?

And you think the govt could do better? Either they also dont provide service under certain circumstances, or they do and it costs us a lot more thru taxes.
    There is no magic here.

I wasnt aware that we currently suffer from third world country epidemics :D

#60     Mar 2, 2007