Overstock.com Fights Naked Shorting

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by flytiger, Aug 11, 2005.

1. I don't care about the company. MANIPULATION IS ILLEGAL. PERIOD END OF SENTENCE (PUN INTENDED)

Bryne is standing up for all the victims. The problem is over the top, and it is being worked on now. Short it. Go ahead.

What happens when deliverys are mandated.??????????? It'll be $150, and you'll cry.

They'll come in and try to cap it today., but it's a loser's game.

#11     Aug 12, 2005
  2. bpl1000

bpl1000

And you think Byrne is innocent?

#12     Aug 12, 2005
  3. As a matter of fact, I do. But again, that's isn't the issue. The issue is manipulation.

When Elgindy ran into a victim, he personally attacked the CEO. Of course, he paid off Jeff Royer, the head of Oklahoma City's FBI office. The arrogant son of a bitch used the actual wording of the FBI file when bashing the Officers of the company.

I know Byrne is standing up for all. makes him ok in my book. He could have walked, or made his own deal w/the shorts. That's been done. And let'
    s differenciate between shorts, and Naked Shorts like we differenciate between killers and Special Forces.

Listen to the call. I know the players he's talking about. Herb Greenberg on CNBC the other day, big smile, Mr . Bear., always right. Kiss my Dago ass.

And he talks about "Master Mind", Mr. 1980's, doing it again. Look at the title of the presentation name, and tell me who it is.

What a disaster this is. Only thing left to do is let it run it's course, and try to id the squeezes. Make the BD's pay dearly, and make some dollars back.

#13     Aug 12, 2005
  4. anyone have the webcast archive? i tried the main site but the link doesnt work...

#14     Aug 12, 2005
  5. #15     Aug 12, 2005
  6. A replay of the webcast will be available on the Internet at

http://www.shareholder.com/overstock starting 90 minutes after the live call has

ended. A transcript will be posted to the website as soon as it is available.

An audio replay of the webcast will be available via telephone starting at 1:30

p.m. Eastern time on August 12, through midnight Eastern Time on Friday, August

19. To listen to the recorded webcast by phone, please dial (888) 203-1112

(passcode: 4199807). Outside the U.S. please dial +1 (719) 457-0820(passcode:

4199807).

#16     Aug 12, 2005

7. Thanks for the wakeup call. The call was fascinating, esp. given that I don't follow the hedge/ shorting strategies so closely ....

His reference to a 'Sith Lord,' seemed to be suggesting an Ivan Boesky-type character.

I also need to state for the record: my old 'friend G. Gekko has no knowledge of the personages or activities discussed by Mr. Byrne.

Great call ....

#17     Aug 13, 2005
  8. Wow. Just finished up the last few minutes of the recording. Absolutely fascinating.

A couple of the best lines towards the end were (I paraphrase):

'I'm not bringing this to the SEC because, come on, the SEC can barely tackle Martha Stewart on a good day.'

'To the Sith Lord, look out. When the authrorities get a hold of you, they will BURY YOU UNDER THE PRISON this time.'

Anyone have theories on who is the Sith Lord he refers to? He says it is someone infamous, previously convicted for similar activities, who's name would be immediately recognized by "everyone listening to this call."

Ivan Boesky is the only name that comes to mind, but I'm not the egghead street historian ...

Theories or guesses?

#18     Aug 13, 2005
  9. It's been posted all over the net...

Miscreants' Ball = Predator's Ball (he says that right off)

80's Character

Master Mind = MM

Already been in prison

hmmmmmmm Seems simply to me. As a matter of fact, I got a chill up my spine when I realized he was talking about........

To think that someone that brilliant went to jail 22mos., got a break, kept the money, had cancer, recovered, then resorted to this??????? He couldn't think of anything else to do than defraud his own country and i't citizens?

You know, of course, if a stock goes to zero, no transaction, no notice to the IRS, no taxes????? Estimate by Shapiro is 500BB, I think that's low. Lost rev to the treasure probably 200BB not counting the writeoff the seller's take. Money is funneled offshore, probably some goes to killing US Marines. Makes me sick. As Patrick says, "if the Feds get you this time, they'll bury you under the prison".

#19     Aug 13, 2005
  10. You are fitting a round peg in a square hole. Millken (sp?) wasn't a stock operator in the traditional sense that the Sith Lord appears to be.

That, and the suggestions above, more closely fit Boesky.

Still, that begs the question: Is Boesky still alive & what has he been up to?

#20     Aug 13, 2005