Overseas Markets and early indications

Discussion in 'Trading' started by mcvcpa, Sep 11, 2001.

1. MGB

MGB

I support Bush's statement...

"The search is underway for those who are behind these evil acts. I've directed the full resources of our intelligence and law enforcement communities to find those responsible and to bring them to justice. <b>We will make no distinction between the terrorists who committed these acts and those who harbor them.</b>"

If we find someone is liable but they are not a state we may punish the individuals and punish the state for harboring them.

MGB

#11     Sep 12, 2001
  2. roger2

roger2

candletrader and praetorian2,

IMHO, you both could not be more wrong
    We should annhialate 7 nations? We should blindly bomb innocent people?

I am shocked that any intelligent person could see this as a solution or a resolution. This kind of thinking is EXACTLY what caused this most recent tragedy.

These attacks did not happen in a vacuum. Instead, they are the most recent manifestation of self- perpetuating cycle of violence which has been continuing for decades if not centuries.

If, in a fit of rage, we go out there with our powerful military and kill innocent daughters, sons, mothers and fathers...what will this solve? It will further polarize anti-western sentiment and provide these people with THE MOST LEGITIMATE reasons possible to hate Americans and their losses will ensure that OUR future will include even more terrorist attacks.

It is simple - and it is infinitely complex. It is a cycle of violence which is ALWAYS JUSTIFIED. One could say that we would be justified to destroy 20 of their cities, then from their point of view retaliation for that will be justified. Where does it stop? How can it ever stop???

Right now, we should get the bad guys and ONLY the bad guys. We have the intelligence capabilities to find those responsible and the military capabilities to surgically 'punish' or extract them. Let's get the bastards. And let's punish, economically/diplomatically, any nation who supports terrorists. And let's make sure that our 'allies' back us. But we can, and should, do all this without harming innocent people.

#12     Sep 12, 2001
  3. tom_p

tom_p

jaan, you're right, the documents and flight manuals all in arabic, which were found in a vehicle near Boston airport, probably belong to some local Berlitz teacher.

#13     Sep 12, 2001
  4. Magna

Magna Administrator

Reminds me of an old cartoon during the Watergate era. After the mounds of evidence was in, one senator turned to the other and said, "If only we could actually see Nixon with a smoking gun in his hand. Then we would be sure".

#14     Sep 12, 2001
  5. tuna

tuna

Guys I'm in Australia here and i don't know how much other news is filtering thru from the outside world to you there but whatever action gets decided upon you've got most of the world on your side on this one. Our hearts are with you..

#15     Sep 12, 2001
  6. jaan

jaan

roger2,

i couldn't have put it better. almost as shocking as the recent events it is to witness people (including leaders of the US!) to believe that these horrible attacks were an "opening act" (or a "declaration of war") out of void context, to which genocide is justified and efficacious response.

- jaan

(edit note: sorry, i did not mean that the leaders of the US are calling for genocide -- obviously they are not. what i meant though is that they have used wordings that can and will be mistakenly interpreted as calls for genocide.)

#16     Sep 12, 2001
  7. As I have consistently maintained, I will fully support whatever military action the US, her NATO allies, and her other friends (Russia, India and Israel) wish to take against the evils of Islamic terrorism.

The markets will be back for us by Monday at the latest, according to Grasso of the NYSE. In the meanwhile, let us simply wait for the Pentagon to do what must be done.

God Bless America. I am 100% confident in our army, navy and airforce to apply the correct dosage of punishment to Afghanistan, Pakistan and any other countries who preach and implement Islamic terrorism. Let us hope that NATO action is swift, decisive and permanent.

#17     Sep 12, 2001
  8. guidodf

guidodf

I cannot see a difference between the behavior of the terrorists you despise and your wish.
    I hate what happened in NY because nobody should take innocent people's lives, but the life of an innocent person in Kabul or everywhere else (even in nazi Germany) is exactly as important as the life of any innocent American, Italian, etc.

Just another 2c

Guido

#18     Sep 13, 2001
  9. Babak

Babak

ECB has injected slightly more than 69 Billion Euros into their banking system (appx equal to the amount yesterday). They have however kept interest rates unchanged (4.25%).

#19     Sep 13, 2001
  10. Hoyler

Hoyler

Roger2

I agree, they are young & without a lot of life's experiences & wisdom to guide by.

-Hoyler

#20     Sep 13, 2001