overpaid q4 estimated tax (USA)... any experience with this?

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by stockmarketbeginner, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Hello,

I just realized I overpaid my q4 taxes by a meaningful amount. I usually overpay by a bit each quarter to make sure I am paying in good faith. But this one was an accounting "oops".:wtf:

I want to file my taxes early this year anyway, because I am going to have a hectic spring. I'm hoping the government would process my tax return and then issue my refund in a reasonable amount of time after receiving my return... maybe 4-6 weeks rather than after May. Does anybody know if you get your taxes in early... do they issue a refund somewhat promptly? I don't need the money right away. But I'd like to wrap this up in a reasonable amount of time.

This gives me an incentive to get my tax returns in early! :D

P.S. I always use an accountant for filing. It's just not my thing. I'm a lot more comfortable having a professional do my taxes. I consider it money well spent.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  2. Found this link:

http://www.cpapracticeadvisor.com/n...ax-refund-chart-when-will-i-get-my-tax-refund

It looks like:
    you get your refund within 21 days if you file electronically
    paper filing can make the refund take longer
    you typically can send in your returns near the end of January, but not sooner
    the first-day you can submit your 2017 returns has not yet been published

Looking back, I didn't need to post this question to here, because it is more of a vanilla question than something stock market-specific. But there wasn't a way to delete the post. Sorry for the noise!

3. truetype

truetype

Most people active in financial markets can't file early because they're waiting on a few K-1s.

4. great point. thanks.