Overnight Jobs - Turn on via BIOS or OS?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by WinstonTJ, May 1, 2011.

1. I only mentioned that because electric bills are not the/an issue.

As I said, HVAC is the issue - when it gets to be 100* outside its also 100* inside (or very close to it). The cleaning crew closes each door after they leave (required for building fire code or something) so the office and rooms litterally turn into ovens. This cooks the transistors on the motherboards and video cards which ruins them.

I resolved my problem so I thought I'd point that out - I'm not wasting electricity, just not concerned with it as its not the reason why I made this thread.

#11     Aug 29, 2011
  2. Thx - very well aware of those power strips - they are awesome.

I have full IP KVM and switched PDU. Can pretty much do anything from anywhere and never have to walk into the building.

#12     Aug 29, 2011
  3. Bob111

Bob111

hire a beaner :)

#13     Aug 29, 2011
  4. Bob111

Bob111

how about little window AC? they cost close to nothing,doesn't consume a lot of electricity and doing really good job in small rooms.
    i use to have portable a/c-piece of s**t. cheapest window a/c with remote from walmart-awesome!

#14     Aug 29, 2011
  5. Not an option for a few reasons - some of the windows in the offices don't open - or only open 2-3 inches. The building does not allow anything to be shoved out the external (street facing) windows

and finally...

Its NYC in a pretty touristy area - even if I were allowed to hang an AC out the window I'm not sure I want to take on the liability of an AC falling down 15-20 floors to a sidewalk or alleyway.

I looked into a "roll and cool" (portable datacenter/server room cooler) but they are like $5k and simply not worth it - the other hassle with a portable AC is you have to put them up high and let them drain into a trash can or else you come into a swamp on Monday. Hiring union guys to run custom drains for your rolling ACs isn't cheap either.

#15     Aug 30, 2011
  6. Bob111

Bob111