Overall Position Delta in TWS and TWS Mobile

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by ET180, Jul 22, 2019.

1. ET180

ET180

Is there a way to see the overall position delta (stock + derivatives net delta) in TWS and preferably TWS Mobile? I'm not talking about the overall portfolio delta.

2. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

There is a greek called Position Delta (along with theta, vega, gamma). They are, for each contract, "{greek} * position" (so, remember a vertical spread would be an additive sum of these). These are gems for risk management. Only out "recently" (w/in the last4-5 years?)... Big :thumbsup: to IB for this one.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    ET180 likes this.
  3. ET180

ET180

Thanks tom, I think it's actually called "Portfolio Delta" and it's an extra column that can be added under the Portfolio page. Strangely though, it won't sum up the delta for all positions. I see the position delta for every individual position and sometimes it adds up the sum to give the overall position delta and sometimes (for the case that I'm interested in) it doesn't. So guess I need to manually sum it.

4. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Ooops. Your OP said that. My bad. :rolleyes:
    In any event, as long as the underlying is the same, they should add up.
    I wonder if that Global Config/Display/"contract lines"{??} setting is fouling you? You might switch that on/off (with your monitor showing Portfolio page and the Portfolio Delta column -- OH! And your Portfolio page set to group by underlying...) Worth a shot.

5. ET180

ET180

They do add up...I was probably looking on the wrong line yesterday. Either that or moving the columns around somehow got it to work today. Most likely, I just didn't see it yesterday. Works great. Thanks for letting me know about that useful feature.

tommcginnis likes this.
  6. ET180

ET180

I have been using this feature for about a month now in TWS and I really like it. I wish to request the same feature in TWSMobile.

tommcginnis likes this.
  7. dst

dst Interactive Brokers

Thank you for your suggestion, we will add. In future - please don't hesitate to request this via our IBKR Feature Poll Request. Thank you.

8. ET180

ET180

Awesome! I did not know about that feature poll request page. I book marked it and will use it in the future.

9. ET180

ET180

By the way, I notice that portfolio (position) delta doesn't seem to take into account shares, only options. 100 shares should account for 100 long deltas...I could have sworn that it used to behave that way. For example, my GLD:

upload_2019-8-30_9-7-32.png

madowhat and tommcginnis like this.