Outwitting the Devil

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Shirak, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Shirak

Shirak

Hi guys,

I just wanted to share a book that I found recently.

Outwitting the Devil by Napolean Hill.

It's very good and I recommend it to everyone out there.

2. trendo

trendo

ok

3. Why didn't you also mention that all of Hills book are in the public domain? Anyways, some of the best books ever written... And always remember, the best things in life are FREE!!!!!

4. Never mind, make that most of his books SHOULd be in the public domain by now...

5. vinc

vinc

Would that mean that Goldman Sachs and Jim Simons secret trading algos are no good?? :)

6. Eight

Eight

People read Napoleon Hill, they write their five year goals and check them every day... for a few weeks. Five years later they discover the paper under the couch and realize that nothing has changed...

I have a much better way of organizing goals called a goal pyramid. Draw a pyramid [well, a two dimensional one, it's a triangle really]... divide it in three sections. Put your highest goals in the top third, think of all you'd like to accomplish as if you were at your own memorial and looking back on your life... in the middle third put the intermediate goals that you need to accomplish to get to the top third.. the bottom third is hardly more than your daily chore list... if you keep after that chore list you will get to the top goals, who knows how long it all will take but it's best to leave out the demanding time element and just keep on chugging away in the direction that you want to go in.

7. Shirak

Shirak

The ones that lose sight of their goals, well that means that they aren't driven. No help for them. I've been in line with my goal since I first wrote it down at 16.

8. As long as you have a life long goal of something that's probably unatainable, everythings fine. You always have that drive and nothing can deter you and everything in your life is centered around that impossible dream.

The problem arises when you achieve that goal. After a brief toast of champagne, panic sets in, because you realize that what's been driving you is no longer there.

Now what? For the first time since I was 16 I have no goal. What the heck do I have to do? Set a new goal?

Other than setting goals and acheiving them is there any other kind of life out there?

No doubt about it, the fun is in getting there, once you've arrived it's great, but only for a short while.

9. Pekelo

Pekelo