Outsourcing the death of the economy!

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Samson77, Sep 25, 2004.

Outsourcing

1. A lousy ideal that will destroy us.

53 vote(s)
    51.0%
  2. A great ideal that will make us all rich.

36 vote(s)
    34.6%
  3. I don't know.

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. I don't care.

11 vote(s)
    10.6%

1. Yea you tell um, everyone knows about all the folks comming into retirement, either a RV salesman or a nurse is were the action is.

#51     Sep 26, 2004
  2. damir00

damir00 Guest

based on the continuing rape of social security and private pension plans retirement age is going to push out for an awful lot of boomers.

#52     Sep 26, 2004
  3. Yes Mr Greenjeans said maybe to 68-70, no big deal YET.

#53     Sep 26, 2004
  4. ^^^^
    money is made on volume of people working for you, not on volume of "stuff" an individual worker does for him/herself. the correct answer is "neither" because what excess profits are made possible by the invention of the bulldozer will be eaten up by the cost of the bulldozer and by the flood of competing bulldozers entering the market

This is simply and utterly false. Period. Money is made on the difference between marginal revenue and marginal cost per unit. If money is made by the volume of people working for you, as you claim, then just go out and hire a bunch of people and retire. And if working with a shovel makes as much money for the people involved as a bulldozer, why would anybody use one. When all else fails, observe reality.

#54     Sep 26, 2004
  5. I think America is finished. The technology we built replaces workers everyday. We have a growing population and a shrinking job pool. We have oil, housing, and healthcare at all time highs. We have highly educated countries that have a cheapier cost of living getting the basic customer service jobs that helped the big growth of the 90’s. The government is owned by companies so nobody wants to address problems. So we can say Americans are lazy or we can see the reason’s why American are lazy. How motivated can a person get to goto work and still not cover the basic cost of living? I think in the next 25 years there will be a very small middleclass. I think there will be an extremely worthy class and the rest will be poor. When you really don’t need workers people work very cheap. The growth of the middleclass was based off the industrial revolution and technology will replace the middleclass.

#55     Sep 26, 2004
  6. Why is there this idiotic assumption that outsourcing equals cheaper costs and better productivity?

Do your research. Most of the jobs being outsourced in this latest craze actually decrease product value and contain many hidden costs that no executive ever bothers to mention for the fear of losing his/her big bonus.

There are enough stories on ET alone that discuss how this latest outsourcing has only done damage to the companies & their products. As for the workforce, the ones left discard any work ethic and motivation they may have had and simply look to get out of the company. Great way to retain and encourage your top talent huh?

#56     Sep 26, 2004
  7. aradiel

aradiel

Neofeudalism?

From an economic stand point...

Feudalism:

totally unspecialized economy;

domestic dynamic motor - absence and irrelevancy of external demand;

low (human) capital mobility;

the idea of improving accumulation via production costs cut (efficiency) virtually inexists;

wealth = land.

Perhaps a new term from scratch would do better. Globalizism anyone?? :D

#57     Sep 26, 2004
  8. What is the hidden cost of outsourcing? I’m curious because you have an interesting point if its true. Let’s use AOL outsourcing jobs to India. If you ever notice most customer service rep's sound Indian and have American names. They have schools that train them to handle customer service for American companies even. The cost of routing calls to Indian can't be that high anymore so what other hidden cost do they have?

#58     Sep 26, 2004
  9. these multi-nationals have sold us out. i used to be very pro big business...but the hell with them now. i say we open up the flood gates on them in the form of oppressive taxation. if they don't like it let them move. see if the indians and chinese will buy their crap. ross perot warned us all about this back in 91. easy has been duped....we will all suffer because of this if we don't do something about it. our standard of living is being lowered everyday and the govt keeps "fixing" the numbers. wake up people.

#59     Sep 26, 2004
  10. You forgot a very important #4 to your correct list of three items so far;

#4 Start a small business

Small business will always be America's spine and that is the most important aspect of the U.S. economy. If small business ever dies in America then you will see the decay of the middle class. I always go out of my way to support the small business person in this country...I know where America's bread is buttered!

#60     Sep 26, 2004