Outsourcing the death of the economy!

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Samson77, Sep 25, 2004.

Outsourcing

1. A lousy ideal that will destroy us.

53 vote(s)
    51.0%
  2. A great ideal that will make us all rich.

36 vote(s)
    34.6%
  3. I don't know.

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. I don't care.

11 vote(s)
    10.6%
  1. dchang0

dchang0

Dire predictions about outsourcing have never come true. In the 70s, it was the uproar about outsourcing manufacturing to Japan, Taiwan, etc. Long before that, it was outsourcing of agriculture to other nations such as South America, etc.

Remember when America was primarily a nation of farmers and frontiersmen? I don't know about you, but I'm glad they outsourced farming, because I don't want to be a farmer (I grew up next to several cotton and corn farms), and I'm glad they outsourced manufacturing (my dad almost got killed when his shirt got caught in a factory machine), because I don't want to be a factory worker.

I AM GLAD THEY OUTSOURCED EVERYTHING, INCLUDING MY JOB AT IBM, BECAUSE NOW I CAN DO WHAT I REALLY ENJOY. The entrepreneurial spirit of America is one of the few things that will forever be difficult to export (due to long-held cultural beliefs and differences), and it happens to be one of the few things I truly enjoy as a career. I'm sick and tired of the 9 to 9 punch-in/punch-out that I had to endure as a programmer. I considered that MENIAL LABOR, and I'm glad to see it go. Let the Indians and Chinese have it--it pays squat (I hit the programmers' glass ceiling a long time ago), and it's getting to the point where high school kids are coming out better educated in the matured field of software engineering than I am.

In other words, I view the IBM layoffs (which I was smart enough to see coming--I left a couple of months before they laid off my coworkers) and outsourcing as a blessing in disguise. It's like a smoke detector waking you and your family up to get the helloutta the house before the flames come roaring through.

Rather than try to feebly fight the tide with rubber dinghies and plastic oars, I suggest that we all learn to ride the tide and take advantage of the inevitable globalization that will dominate the next 30 years.

#11     Sep 25, 2004
  2. All Im saying is: get used to it and adjust. Throughout the history of this country and the world some people have lost their jobs to changes in the economy. Harry, not sure what your point is. Who said anything about programming?

#12     Sep 25, 2004
  3. Yes it looks so good on PAPER except no one in the right mind will buy anything from your website.
    If you think you can sell your services to offshore just because you are US based you are dreaming,
    they have their brethren in the US and they chinese and indians keep the business and contacts to themselves.
    So the white middle class consumer suffers. of course if you are a buyer, importer you can do ok but do we need 2 million more importers? I don't think so.... Other than that get used to 20 percent UE. and one paycheck per families cause that is here to stay.

#13     Sep 25, 2004
  4. I'm sorry but I have to agree....

I see NOTHING good coming from this except corporate profits rising BUT they aren't REALLY American corporations anymore are they, if 80% of the employee's are foreign.

All this so we can have a hollow stock market :confused:

#14     Sep 25, 2004
  5. the "great" new US business opportunities are
    - credit consolidation (we all have F's credit - well except mine - 800+ FICA)
    - divorce lawyers
    - home equity refinancing
    - variable mortgage to F the stupid US buyer.
    - construction (better speak spanish)

#15     Sep 25, 2004
  6. New Feudalism : as old as ... but it is clearly accelerating because technologies allow them to do so.

http://www.mega.nu:8080/ampp/

``1: the system of political organization prevailing in Europe from the 9th to about the 15th centuries having as its basis the relation of lord to vassal with all land held in fee and as chief characteristics homage, the service of tenants under arms and in court, wardship, and forfeiture 2: any of various political or social systems similar to medieval feudalism''
    -definition of ``feudalism'', from Webster's dictionary

`The combination is here to stay. Individualism has gone, never to return.''
    ``I want to own nothing and control everything.''
    ``Competition is a sin.''
    -John Davison Rockefeller I,
    born 1839-July-18, died 1937-May-23

#16     Sep 25, 2004
  7. This is COLLECTIVISM and not at all INDIVIDUALISM really funny how they have used scientolog method of perveting the terms !

#17     Sep 25, 2004
  8. Flawed argument. The answer to outsourced menial jobs was to educate oneself and get a white collar job. Reaganomics certainly helped create an abundance of financial & tech jobs which needed labor. You know, back when a 4 year degree meant something.

At the moment, the only jobs that are actually in need are medical and pharmaceutical. Everything else is being outsourced, be it reasonable or not. It would be nice if everyone in USA could become an entrepeneur but who are you going to sell to? Each other?

Everybody cant be a nurse or a doctor or a pharmacist or work in the service industry. For the US economy to function, most have to be consumers and for that to work, most have to have some kind of income in return for their labor, menial or white collar. In case you have not noticed, only cheap money and rising CC debt has allowed the consumer to survive in the past few years.

It's simple cash flows. The US corporates USED TO get money from the US consumer and return some in the form of wages so that the consumer can keep on working and consuming. Now US corporates return nothing in the way of wages but they rely on the US consumer to keep on consuming with money from ...the government(?)

What could happen is that the US economy will gear itself toward servicing the new consumer economies of these nations that are getting the outsourcing flow. Gotta get that money back somehow.

#18     Sep 25, 2004
  9. Midas

Midas

That is not the business that I am in my friend I was giving an example of how when one door closes another opens.

My point is this. Except what comes to you. Adapt and overcome. We live in very different times. Anyone who thinks that globalization equates to less opportunity is mistaken. Sure their will be a restructuring of the middle class. In fact this has been going on for some time.

Think outside the corporate box. Cogs in the corporate machine can and will be replaced to make the machine more efficient. Become the corporation and you will gain control over those changes, however small your business may be.

This country was built on the backs of risk taking entrepreneurs from the frontiersmen, plantation owners, ranchers, industrialist, to small business owners. Join the ranks of the self employed....Or find a field in high demand... Eb and Flow with the everchanging marketplace by finding ways to profit from those changes like the generations before us did.

Change is on the horizon................ It always has been!

#19     Sep 25, 2004
  10. There are things that you adapt and change with and then there are things you take a stand on and STOP because they are wrong.

Don't confuse the two.

Last time I checked we still had a vote that counted (except Florida) .... :p

#20     Sep 25, 2004