Our moral culpability for Qana

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ZZZzzzzzzz, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Weak pacifist talk...

#31     Aug 3, 2006
  2. I'm sure that made you feel good writing it, but it's still bullshit. I'm as racist and fascist as you are objective.

So just address the issue: What did you mean when you said that Hezbollah was doing the world a favor in trying to eliminate the zionists so the rest of the world could live in peace? If you really believe that, you're more ignorant than I thought, which has you maxing out the ignorance scale...

#32     Aug 3, 2006
  3. Alan Dershowitz was making an appearance today, and tried to make an anology today.

His analogy was that a bank robber who grabs a hostage to use as a shield, against their will, is obviously in the wrong, if that hostage is shot by a police officer, the bank robber is held culpable for the crime.

What Dershowitz failed to mention of course, is that the cop has to show that his firing at the bank robber was absolutely necessary. There is an inquiry whenever there is a shooting, and the cop has to show that he had no option but to shoot.

The issue that many who have an open mind viewing this situation observe, is that while Hezebollah is wrong in their indiscriminate bombing of Israel, Israel's claim that they have no choice but to do what their doing doesn't ring true. I fully believe there are war crimes on both sides of this conflict, but neither side will yield themselves to outside judgment, and the US is so influence by neocon thinking, that the US won't act as a moderating force, which is really what we need in the Middle East.

Their bombing is a choice, and the funding by the US is a choice, and with no review board examining those choices that Israel makes, with the "mistakes" that are made, the history, etc., it raises doubts.

I know most people at ET prefer an all or nothing view, that Israel is 100% right, and Hezbollah is 100% wrong, but life really isn't that simple.

As I have stated before, in sports, it doesn't matter if someone threw the first punch, the retaliation punch is still an infraction.

I think Israel is presently being exposed for heavy handed methods, which in the past were largely overlooked and supported by Americans, but are now coming into question by many in the world.

Unfortunately for Israel, America has burned lots of bridges and engendered hatred worldwide due to Bush's self righteous cowboy diplomacy at use of force before the use of real diplomatic and political solutions.

As such, observers who see the same neocons who blindly went into Iraq, having the same knee jerk reaction of support of Israel and funding the war efforts, are suspicious and doubtful of the motives and agenda.

Israel will no doubt with the battle for Lebanon and push back Hezbollah, but they are losing the PR was both in the middle east with the moderate Muslims, and here at home with many who in the past would have defended Israel's actions without a second thought....

#33     Aug 3, 2006
    #34     Aug 3, 2006
    #35     Aug 3, 2006
    #36     Aug 3, 2006
  7. So you equate having rockets fired indiscriminately into Israel and soldiers kidnapped and killed as a sports infraction? At least in sports, there is a referee to maintain order and punish infractions. You seem to expect Israel just to sit there and take it. Now in fairness, that seems to be the unstated rationale of al CNN and the rest of the media, but it is a weak argument. No government can be expected to ignore acts of war inflicted upon it.

Dershowitz' analogy is weak as well. Lebanon is hardly an innocent bank customer. Did they appeal to the US or UN to remove Hezhbollah? Did they even try to clamp down on them? Did they tell the Israelis not to invade, that their own army would disarm Hezbollah?

#37     Aug 3, 2006
  8. So, did this happen today?

Zzzztroll's senility has reached the point where he repeats himself even when he doesn't want to!

Either that or he's on his 4th round of tequila and prune juice shots.

ROFLMAO!

#38     Aug 3, 2006
  9. No Z what we need in the middle east is the annihilation of the Jihadists!

#39     Aug 3, 2006
  10. Didn't work during the Crusades, won't work now...

#40     Aug 3, 2006