Our Energy Future

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JWS11, Sep 10, 2008.

1. :) That's funny. If that were true, we would have shifted to alternatives over the last fifty years -- because of a readily accessible source of oil. In my opinion the Republicans have no coherent alternative energy plan. Nuclear is great, but are unbuildable because no one wants them in their neighborhoods.

#11     Sep 19, 2008
  2. Yannis

Yannis

Well, that's not exactly fair - I was doing reseatch for the DOE in the 70s and the climate was very, very different, no real urgency, just do your little experiment, write your paper and let us know.

We've come a long way baby, the technology is so much closer to commercial deployment - wind, solar, natural gas, biofuels, tides, etc. Many companies have entered this business, especially in California and Texas. And thousands more scientists and engineers have studied the field by now, not like back then when no one knew where to start. But, we still need a bridge to the market at large, build infrastructure, and establish a solid funding mechanism... an overall energy of the future strategy.

My 15 year old daughter never listens to me, I have to repeat myself several times, threaten to take away her cellphone and exit privileges and then she complies, most of the time. Countries and their economies are like that, they are very reluctant to listen to reason unless a very pressing need is apparent. We're close to that point now, we'll do it right this time. If Congress shows any backbone, which they probably will not, not with Pelosi and Reid at the helm. Oh well.

#12     Sep 19, 2008
  3. Yes, I agree with all of this.

I agree with this. I'm not convinced that offshore drilling will be any panacea.

In fact, I believe that this topic is a distraction from the real issue, which is the transition. If McCain wanted to make this the defining issue of the campaign I believe he could.

#13     Sep 19, 2008