Our civic duty?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by chuck.ells, Apr 17, 2007.

1. If i understand this correctly, validating the person fills their need for being validated. Their ideas soon fade or they become less influenced to act on them. People want to be included, even those loners who try not to be, are attempting to stir up something that at it's heart gets attention. I am sure that's a blazing generalization, but nobody really wants to feel alone or that they don't count.

#11     Apr 17, 2007
  2. Some people trade and lose for the same effect. Pity, sympathy, identification as "something" (even if it's a guy who loses money) all have a value. It's better than being invisible, to that person who is doing it. A great trader said we all get what we want from the markets.

positive attention best, no attention is the worst, negative attention is better than being ignored.

#12     Apr 17, 2007
  3. nonam

nonam

4. Come on ET, we have a wealth of characters to profile here, and yet we are falling behind.

Is collage the only place that have people who can profile, and take action on their analyst's? (sp?)

BOULDER, Colo. - A University of Colorado student pleaded not guilty Wednesday to making comments that classmates deemed sympathetic toward the gunman blamed for killing 32 students and himself at Virginia Tech, authorities said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/virginia_tech_colorado;_ylt=AuYy0ifEJiFQZ2mpd2kafx6s0NUE

We only have two names on our list so far. We need many more to begin to rid our community of future shooters.
    The time to strike, is when the iron is hot!

Updated list of observable behaviors

Sullen loner
    Creative writer
    Disturbing
    Refers to himself as "Question Mark"
    Sympathetic toward gunmen

#14     Apr 19, 2007
  5. According to this thread
    "A big thank you to 70,948 ET User names"

We think the number of real ET users boils down to a maximum of six.

We would be profiling ourselves in this case.

#15     Apr 19, 2007
  6. MKTrader

MKTrader

Another civic duty: don't let a young nut with no military/police training take out over 30 people. I know people tend to panic, but if just a few folks charged him (even perhaps one) it would totally throw of his aim and focus. It's happened before in such incidents and that's one reason why others didn't get away with killing so many people.

#16     Apr 19, 2007
  7. i will throw in the following arguement to this and maybe create a real debate:

what this guy did was wrong without question. fact .

he was an absolute nutter. fact .

there are several things that bother me though.

(1) snobbery on campus

(2) elitism on campus

(3) who wants to be friend with a south korean guy woth glasses

(4) how many people made a genuine attempt to be a friend to this guy - probably none

(5) who would want to associate with this guy on campus - probably none.

(6) who on the campus feels a little responsibility for what happened - probably quite a few

we all know someone like this at schools,colleges and universities and who wants to befriend someone like this - answer nobody.

we all distance ourselves because it is not 'cool'.

people resonsible for this mess:

staff
    parents
    police
    and studentssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

#17     Apr 19, 2007
  8. Hedonistic
    Promiscuous :D

#18     Apr 19, 2007

9. Since when VT is an elite school?

#19     Apr 19, 2007
  10. What have you got against 'promiscuous'

#20     Apr 19, 2007