Our civic duty?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by chuck.ells, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Our civic duty?

As you all know, the disturbing developments at Virginia Tech, raise some serious questions regarding our own personal civic duties.

As an AP writer noted,
    "By ADAM GELLER, AP National Writer 11 minutes ago
    BLACKSBURG, Va. - The gunman suspected of carrying out the Virginia Tech massacre that left 33 people dead was described Tuesday as a sullen loner whose creative writing in English class was so disturbing that he was referred to the school's counseling service. "

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070417/ap_on_re_us/virginia_tech_shooting

The gunman was a "sullen loner", participating in "creative writing" which some found "disturbing".

We too, at ET have a fair share of "sullen loners" who create disturbing writing. Should we not be concerned about these individuals?
    I say yes! We need to take positive steps to protect our neighborhood children now. I propose that we as a community keep an ongoing list of names of those who display the same qualities of the VA. gunman.
    A member who exhibits the following, ought to be put on the "list" and encouraged in the strongest terms available, to get mandatory counseling.

Sullen loner
    Creative writer
    Disturbing
    Refers to himself as "Question Mark"

Now is not the time to for ET to fall to the "Genovese syndrome."

2. Hmm,
    So far 46 views and not one is willing to step forward to help profile those that may represent a danger to our respective communities?
    Which one of you can a victim call on for help?

"Genovese syndrome" otherwise known as "bystander effect"
    The bystander effect (also known as bystander apathy or bystander intervention) is a psychological phenomenon in which someone is less likely to intervene in an emergency situation when others are present than when he or she is alone.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_Genovese

3. I know that part of the world intimate lak. A few decades ago a keydet would have reached inside a rucksack and stabbed him with a bayonette. At my alma mater someone would have koshed him with an empty liquor bottle. Pussies, all, the current generation. Iff'n thur wuz still a significant Corps presence there, bin a diffunt story. Hell, ah used ta carry a .32 H&R in ma briefcase ta class! Jumped out the winder? We'd 'a throwed HIM out the winder! He 'uz a chink gook, ennyhow, shuddn'a even bin here. Shit lak that's why we have concealed carry in Tejas. You pull a gun in public here yore gonna have it shoved up yore ass!

4. Now see whatcha gone and done Chuck?

5. "I say yes! We need to take positive steps to protect our neighborhood children now. I propose that we as a community keep an ongoing list of names of those who display the same qualities of the VA. gunman."

Not only further isolate him, brand him. tut tut.

Au contraire, engage him, validate him as a person, not his ideas. You will validate his ideas with isolation and making him a "marked" man proving his "ideas" are right. It is self fulfilling and his and your re-actions prove him right. Once he has confirmation he is right everything else is wrong.

6. I take it you're not in favor of criminal profiling and maintaining watch list's?

7. "I take it you're not in favor of criminal profiling and maintaining watch list's?"

I am in favor of criminal profiling, actually the media hijacked the term to "racial profiling" and trashed the concept. It works. It should just go back to being called what it was, behavioural profiling.

Lists, by all means. This stage of the game, not many choices.

8. maxpi

maxpi

There's not that much you can do. It takes brain damage coupled with psychological trauma to make a crazy murderer. I say cut back on the psychological trauma if you please!!

Regarding Genovese, maybe the people in the neighborhood really did not want a hooker working there, ever think of that?? Well??

9. segv

segv

You propose a police state. Never fear, it is already well on its way. Send the Thought Police my kind regards for me.

10. I would like to nominate "riskarb" and "Electric Savant" to our new ET Security Watch list.

WE'RE WATCHING U GUYS REAAAAAL CLOSE NOW Y'AH HEAR?

[​IMG]

#10     Apr 17, 2007