OT: Can anyone say they ever used a decent mover?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by midlifeguy, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Before becoming a trader, I partly owned a moving company for 10 years. There are many moving companies that are scum, but there are also many that are good concientious companies with hard working movers. The company I owned did not have a single official complaint in our first 10 years of business.

Some things you should look for for an Interstate move:

1. Even if you pick a Van Line (United, Mayflower etc...) it is still individual companies that are affiliated with those Van Lines. So if someone recommends United, you will not really be getting the same company to move you, as they used. Its better to get a good referral about an 'individual' company.

2. Make sure you get an on site estimate. Have one of their salespeople/estimators visit your home and take a complete inventory of everything that is going to be moved.

3. Make sure that you get a 'flat rate' price for the actual transportation of your belongings, and at the very least a 'not to exceed' price for any other services, like loading, unloading, packing of boxes, packing supplies. There are 2 ways to price an interstate shipment:
    A. By 'actual' weight. (truck is loaded with your stuff, then weighed. Price is based on the actual weight of your stuff.) You will not know the price until the truck is actuall weighed.
    B. By dimensional weight (recommended). This is from the scenario above where a salesman/estimator will come to your home and take an inventory, then give a fixed price based on the volume that they calculate. This method is recommended.

4. Make sure that you understand all insurances that they offer. Damage is part of the business, and unavoidable. (kinda like a losing trade).

5. Be completely honest with your moving company regarding everything that is being moved (don't hide the basement with 100 boxes until the last minute...tell them about the 200 yard walk to the elevator in your new apartment etc....)

6. Check with Better Business bureau, Chambers of Commerce etc.. for any complaints about the mover. More often than not, there will be complaints. Moving is stressful, and many people will end up complaining about the smallest of issues though. It is more important how the company responded to these complaints, than the actual complaints themselves. (Think of all the people that complain about Interactive Brokers over the slightest problem).

I could go on and on with advice, but I will leave it at this for the time being. Feel free to ask me any questions as they come up.

#11     Aug 21, 2006
  2. www.themigroup.com

They moved me from NY to moscow to San Juan. Never had an ounce of problems. They took care of all the customs, moved vehicles, etc. They cost a pretty penny, but they do everything you would want.

#12     Aug 21, 2006
  3. Holy moly...

Just got an estimate from 4 movers.

total weight =3000lbs, move from Austin to San Diego in September.

Price $3500-$4000 :eek: :eek: :eek:

Does this sound right?

I moved from Austin to NY with more stuff and only paid $2800...

Am I getting ripped off here??

I mean a friggin Uhaul is only $700 from Austin to SD. I just can't move or sit in a Uhaul for that long because of my back...

:confused: :confused:

#13     Aug 23, 2006
  4. Hard to tell from the info you provided, whether or not the price is high. There are some factors that can affect the price. eg, Are you packing boxes etc.. yourself? If so, are you using your own packing materials? Is the move straightforward (house to house, no long walks etc...)? Are you insisting on specific pick up and delivery dates? Will your stuff need to be stored at the Moving Co. warehouse for any length of time (extra cost to unload and reload)?

If you got 4 estimates, I would suspect that you are definitely in the true range of what it will cost. I have been out of the business for over 5 years, so my knowledge of current prices is limited. 5 years ago, I would have said that the price for a straightforward move would have been in the $2500-$3000 range, so $3500-$4000 doesn't seem ridiculous 5 years later.

#14     Aug 23, 2006
  5. Thanks for the great info :)

Yes, straight foward move, both apartments on 2nd floor, specific dates and maybe 1 week of storage. Price does not include packing/boxes.

#15     Aug 23, 2006
  6. In the Chicago area, <b>Golan's</b> is top notch.
    Make sure you get a team of recently discharged Israeli soldiers (They do constitute the vast majority of Golan's employees).

#16     Aug 23, 2006