Organized Systems Sharing

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by rlb21079, Apr 2, 2003.

1. I too am interested in your group. I think eyecheck's idea may be the right place to start. Essentially have a listing of trading systems to trade or swap. Detailed descriptions and performance reports will have to be provided for each. Sites like Wealth Lab already do this sort of thing but give the systems away for free. Of course anyone who has tested many of these systems come away underwhelmed for the most part. To prevent this I think there should be some performance benchmarks one must meet to join. My ideal picture of this group would be a place where a number of system developers could compile a few sustainable simple systems, get them out of the way, and use our new time and resources to tackle larger and more sophisticated problems in trading, things we could not easily do as individuals. We'll be in touch.

#11     Apr 3, 2003
  2. Eyecheck & Opmtrader,

I too think what you propose is valuable. Maye we should start another thread and run both of these ideas in concert?

-rlb

P.S. For all other potential participants please note this "project," so to speak, does not require submitting your best and most complete ideas - just something you've been pondering but have not had time to fully develop. As a group I think we can build superior systems in less time.

#12     Apr 3, 2003
  3. eyecheck

eyecheck

Want me to start it or would you like to coordinate that?

Eyecheck

#13     Apr 3, 2003
  4. I think it best if you start the thread and keep me updated. I am spending a good deal of my effort working on this first idea. Thanks,
    RLB

#14     Apr 3, 2003
  5. I think the basic supposition is whether a group of traders can come up with something more successful than the most successful trader working on his own already has come up with. If the answer is no, then that most successful trader will have no incentive in divulging his method to the collective, will he? And basically, to arrive at that same method as the most successful trader has already arrived at on his own, would be the goal of the collective in that case.

The question also comes up, whether other funds have not in fact already tried the experiment, by trying to hire the most successful traders to work on their team. So, what kind of Edge have the most successful funds managed to arrive at? And is it possible to set better criteria than the ones set by funds when they hire and work together with their members, to arrive at an edge over even the most successful funds?

Perhaps in coming to understand what is an adge, we need to find an equal understanding of what is not an edge, which things may be presented as possible edges but in fact be as likely to hinder success.

Personally, I prefer simplicity. I think simplicity is itself an edge. Too much complication, too much technical jargon and complicated mathematics, and I quickly tune it out.

Of course, that's me. Perhaps more complication is an edge, and my aversion to complication is my hinderance. I tend to think not, though.

I don't mind sharing my methods publicly. Of course, that may be viewed as an indication of the lack of worth of anything I think I have to share. Could be. I don't feel any need for secrecy, I don't feel there's any threat to me if other people know the way I trade. I have nothing to hide, maybe because I have nothing worth hiding. But maybe it just doesn't matter if others know or not.

And perhaps that's an edge: to come up with a system that you don't have to worry about hiding, because there is no threat in having it known by others.

#15     Apr 3, 2003
  6. Hii a_ooiioo_a:

Alright man Hii a_ooiioo_a, let's see what you got. Submit a system of utter simplicity. In fact, I challenge you to find in your archives a system so simple a monkey could run it, but that only breaks even. Then this will be our benchmark. If as a group we can make it and prove it profitable we'll know we've accomplished something. But, may I simply ask you do not post it here - submit the thing.
    You are simply a riot!, and I hope you meet my challenge.:)

#16     Apr 3, 2003
  7. #17     Apr 3, 2003
  8. we can pick some low priced thinly traded stock and do a little bear or bull raid on it. overwhelm some fat and sleepy MM who got stuck doing the "crap stocks". wait, is sec reading?:)

#18     Apr 3, 2003
  9. Ditto Hii a_ooiioo_a. Why don't we share systems that emphasize simplicity. :cool:

#19     Apr 3, 2003
  10. So, I shouldn't say my simple method here?

#20     Apr 3, 2003