Order not executing

Discussion in 'Options' started by EliteTraderNYC, Mar 29, 2012.

1. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

You should absolutely use limit orders. Even if your price is through the current market.

Bob

#21     Mar 30, 2012
  2. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

Also, Don, what you refer to as retail, I call customer. Customers get priority over MM on the book and pay lower exchange fees. If they have DMA, they can choose their route or use a smart route, just like you.

Bob

#22     Mar 30, 2012
  3. magicz

magicz

I find that certain exchange execute limit spread order faster then other. Sometimes I find my spread sit even when I give them a .05-.1 credit above mid-point to execute.

#23     Mar 30, 2012
  4. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

Which ones do you find are faster?

#24     Mar 30, 2012
  5. magicz

magicz

amex usually give me the fastest execution when I buy or sell close to midpoint. cboe one of the worst.

ise and box is ok

#25     Mar 30, 2012
  6. That's what I thought, and when we execute our orders we simply click one side, and then click the other side. Who exactly do you think holds the limit orders as placed through the broker? A broker, right? Just like "the old days" only electronically I guess. If so, there must be an algo or a person who is privy to the order.

If you placed an order to buy xyz Dec 30, sell xyz Sep 30 calls for $1.00. How would that show up so I could see it? As I said, I may be missing something, but I also asked GS, and they couldn't help me either.

I see when I place bids or offers on one side, that the algos jump and move the other side around, that seems normal to me. Irritating, LOL, but understandable. I'm just trying to see how spreads, BF's, straddles etc. are shown.?

Don :confused:

#26     Mar 30, 2012
  7. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

Cool, I did not expect that. I was an AMEX member and don't know anyone that monitors that COB. They do a lot of volume in certain options. The AMEX also gets a lot of "directed" order flow from some of the big brokers like Barclays and GS. If your trading common spreads, you might be trading with other customers, rather than Market Makers.

#27     Mar 31, 2012
  8. magicz

magicz

well I trade AAPL and BAC option right now and they are pretty liquid. So I dont usually have a problem with execution near mid. You are probably right about other retail orders taking my orders , my execution report usually show odd lots adding up to my total. notice the 1 lots.

#28     Apr 2, 2012
  9. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

That was the trading crowd I traded in. Both options are very active. I'm just surprised your happy with the complex order book there. That's great. Their COB has something called RFQ. request for quote. When you enter your order, and it's with in the NBBO, it should send a message out to participants telling them it's there in case someone wants to enter a contrary order at any price. I don't know who participates in the program.

The one lots could also be a large MM doing lots of small trades and their trading system is rechecking values to avoid errors.

Vey nice.....

#29     Apr 2, 2012
  10. magicz

magicz

well who ever is making a market for me there I am very happy with. My fills look good, so I am happy for now, in this business things always change tho.

#30     Apr 2, 2012