Order Lag in Tradestation. Please Help

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by bmoney, Nov 17, 2020.

1. bmoney

bmoney

Let me explain the full scope of what’s happening so this issue cannot be just placed on a volatile market or a shitty computer setup or something else common.

I am a scalp trader. As a result, I place hundreds of trades throughout the day, often times on just a single ticker. In the morning, my orders flow seamlessly. I receive a notification that I received the shares the same time it hits the tape. Later on, as more of my orders have been executed in a particular stock, I get a very considerable amount of lag when receiving a notification that an order has been filled, as well as lag with being able to place orders or cancel them. This ONLY happens on stocks that I have traded with considerable volume throughout the day. Every other ticker trades as it should. I should also not that if I’m trying to load the traded ticker back up, it also takes minutes to load back vs the seconds it takes for any other ticker. When the next day comes around, everything is back to normal and trades fine.

What I have done to try and fix this: I have spoken with tradestation support. First guy had me delete cache files in several locations (localappdata folder and CAL folder) as well as delete the matrix file in regedit. It did not do anything to fix the issue. I do not have a ton of different windows open; just tradestation with 2 charts, matrix, and time and sales. The charts are naked and do not display orders on them. I schedule a call back again and told the guy what’s going on. He did virtually nothing to help. Was silent the entire time and sounded completely dumbfounded.

It feels like the system is trying to save or load all of the orders I have placed throughout the day simultaneously on whatever ticker I have up, and by doing that it is overloading the system. Idk why it’s doing that or how to make it stop. I don’t want any of my orders recorded on the platform. Does anyone have a suggestion as for what I can do? I really don’t want to switch brokers again.

TLDR: tradestation platform is (or feels like it is) overloading from high order volume on my part. Deleting Tcache and Cache folders and restarting the platform do nothing to fix the problem. Any advice is appreciated

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I have a simple question. Are you directing your orders to an exchange or ECN like ARCA or NASDAQ or using a free broker route where your order is sent to an equity market maker for execution? If it is the free route, I expect that is likely the issue.

3. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

well it's a stupid ass 32 bit program and they have bloated it thru the years to the point it sucks.

do this use ts for the data and get you multicharts "64 BIT" YAHOO! and try that out with a better clearing firm

you are quite welcomed no need for profuse thanks...

ps if you stick with ts tell them you want to use 9.5 and demand it or nothing else. ver 10+ is pure Japanese crap... built for arm chair traders who use their tv's for monitors lol

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    BlueWaterSailor likes this.
  4. bmoney

bmoney

I use the free one as i typically have the fastest fill rate by doing so vs selecting the exchanges. Just my experience using it. I’m curious as to how that would cause the platform to lag though. It’s not that my orders aren’t being made quickly, it’s that the updates to my platform (ie order filled) are delayed by a few seconds from the moment my order hits the tape. This delay causes a snowball effect in the sense that I can’t place additional orders or make adjustments until the notification has pushed its way through. Thanks for the reply

5. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

You are waiting for the equity market maker to send back the fill. It certainly could be a band width problem at trade station. We are not having those delays, but we also don’t offer those routes on our active trader platforms.

6. Fonz

Fonz

If you use free routes with a broker, it means that your orders will often transit more and slip more but you could have more liquidity if it is a thin market.

I use Tradestation and Multicharts, both to trade futures markets. I can tell that the typical problem that I had with Tradestation was a slow DOM (Matrix). I took me a while to understand why, and since I have now one of the fastest internet connection, Tradestation is the best.
    With Multicharts, it all depends on your data feed first and then your broker: IB is OK not great and Gain is just bad.
    And then, I agree with Mark regarding Multicharts with Tradestation data: It is a great solution especially if you need to send a lot of orders on auto mode. Also, to avoid IB (bad) data fees, this is just great.