Order Entry API

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by vikana, May 22, 2001.

1. twabscs

twabscs

ButterMilk:

I'm developing a package using the QFeed API but haven't been able to find the QFeed newgroup. Could you provide a link?

Thanks

Tom

#21     Jul 19, 2001
  2. MGB

MGB

Please confirm...

QFeed APIs includes API for order-entry? If yes, order-entry for which broker?

Thanks,
    MGB

#22     Jul 20, 2001
  3. TWABSCS:

It's at data@quote.com ...You have to request a invitation to join.

MGB: What quote.com supplies is a SDK to aid in interfacing thier data stream to third party software....

In most cases you have to write you own interfacing to a broker order processing system or use FIX

#23     Jul 20, 2001
  4. dozu888

dozu888

Any news about emini broker with API? Won't be able to meet the $2400 commission minimum at IB at this moment, plus I will need a lot of help setting up the dedicated line.

Looking for a broker with API on the application level, so I can just let my robot do a damn function call and trade away... She is making a few points on paper.

#24     Jul 29, 2001
  5. Turok

Turok

Dozu,

As someone who has searched extensively for the same capabilities as you require, I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that you aren't going to find it at the capitalization level you are requesting (you're off by a multiple of about 40).

There are few options in this area and each one that I have found require far larger accounts that it sounds like you are prepared to fund.

I have finally found a acceptable source for my needs(which I have been asked not to divulge), but as was common I had to fund a large account and provide significant volume guarantees.

Good luck in your search.
    JB

#25     Jul 29, 2001
  6. dozu888

dozu888

This is really uncool. Of course eventually I will let the robot trade 10-20 contracts at a time, and I certainly have the funds to do it NOW, but who is stupid enough to start with that size and take a risk of blowing up. It's is in the broker's interest to abandom such foolish requirements.

An API is just some stupid machine code, doesn't need any maintenance anyway. Bad programs eating up resource might be a problem, but it is the TRADER's money on the line and the TRADER will have much stronger motivation to correct any errors than to ignore them.

I hope somebody wakes up soon.

#26     Jul 30, 2001
  7. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

uncool indeed.

Turok, what is the capital typically requested ? give a figure, you don't have to tell who you made a deal with and with what kind of capital. Just share with us your experience looking for this.

I want to do this too, and I am prepared to use IB API. But like Dozu I am very frustrated with the requirements. Mytrack ask $60 a month for their API access, but they don't do futures and they are not cheap for stocks.
    So it is not about money, it is about fairness and ease of deployment.

anyway...
    neo

#27     Jul 30, 2001
  8. Turok

Turok

>Bad programs eating up resource might be
    >a problem, but it is the TRADER's money on
    >the line and the TRADER will have much
    >stronger motivation to correct any errors
    >than to ignore them.

True, but in the time it may take some hack programmer/trader to fix the problem of his system it can cause significant financial and reputation damage to a broker.

I understand their position and if I were a broker I would want significant proof of technical programming capabilities and a code review before allowing access. Of course to pay for these efforts, I would need some kind of volume guarantee that would ensure I would get my money back.

As a programmer I've found their arguments reasonably sound for the most part.

JB

#28     Jul 30, 2001
  9. Turok

Turok

>Just share with us your experience
    >looking for this.

If you are prepared to fund a low 6 figure account. If you are prepared to convince technically proficient programmers that you are a technically proficient programmer. If you willing to guarantee a just a few K per month in commissions then you will not have a real problem finding API access.

I was unsuccessful until I committed with account size. Volume was not a problem. I was able to demonstrated through my current broker statements that I do enough business. I have spent more on brokerage fees in one week than I now guarantee to do in on month (I spend 14K in my biggest month trading without the API).

JB

#29     Jul 30, 2001
  10. dozu888

dozu888

I think the $60 mytrack charges includes data fee, as the SDK option is only $25/month, and there is no volume requirement.

If this makes business sense to mytrack, I can't see why other brokers will lose money by offering API to small potato traders like me.

#30     Jul 30, 2001