Order did not get fill at the current ask

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by GotherL, Dec 6, 2018.

1. GotherL

GotherL

I made a limit order for a stock for 37 shares afterhours. The current ask was 4.08 and there was 10x100. I waited 10 seconds or more and it did not get fill so I cancelled the order and bid at 4.09. Now this time it did get fill but the 1000 shares on the ask at 4.08 remained?

I have heard about the exchanges ignoring odd lot sizes but I didn't think I'll get filled at a higher ask when the current ask was still active. Is that possible?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    murray t turtle likes this.
  2. qlai

qlai

Yes, Odd lots are not protected, but unlikely to be filled at worse price during regular hours. Actually, there is no protection after hours even for full lots.
    Also, the BBO is normally displayed in full lots, so 199 shares would be displayed as 1(one) lot, so even if you executed against it, you wouldn't necessarily see it change (obviously your price would be at the offer).

tommcginnis, d08 and GotherL like this.
  3. qlai

qlai

BTW, i had similar problem with left over odd lot. Spread was huge. I was constantly updating my order to be displayed as best offer. I was slowly walking down by a penny. Finally, someone (MM) just took me out so I don't interfere :) That was a bit unpleasant.

tommcginnis likes this.
  4. RRY16

RRY16

You should pay an extra 37 cents for posting this.

5. %%
    Are you asking us if your 1k shares @4.08 remained , how would we know that GotherL??
    Most platforms have confirm, cancel , confirm........ BUT since broker$ get paid on volume;stuff happens LOL:D
    And since the stock is priced under $5 i would assume your order is still in effect even NOW unless i have proof other wise.

6. My orders are always - Reject Odd lot fills -I don't like to be filled partly and be left with 77 shares.

Go play bitcoin please if you can't trade standard lots. Thank you.

7. schweiz

schweiz

Maybe they have not enough money to trade standard lots...

8. qlai

qlai

How is this even possible? Maybe some exchanges can do this, but not all?

9. TommyR

TommyR

leaving an order with a broker is not a sensible idea. just saying.

10. jonahern

jonahern

you may have been looking at a quote that wasn't live

#10     Dec 8, 2018