Oral Testimony for Confiscation of 401(k)'s...

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ProfitTakgFool, Nov 10, 2008.

1. clacy

clacy

If this happens, your choices will be:

a) Join the Revolution

b) Leave the country

#11     Nov 10, 2008
  2. ... and then claim ignorance about what their predecessors did in the wasteful spending of citizens' money. Sounds like another campaign speech. 2016?

#12     Nov 10, 2008
  3. clacy

clacy

I would say that this is a matter of when, not if.

#13     Nov 10, 2008
  4. Indeed, the word they used was "exchange." I over spoke when I used the word "confiscate." If it's a voluntary system then great. Hopefully it won't become mandatory.

#14     Nov 10, 2008
  5. clacy

clacy

One would have to think that the ramifications on the market would be significant if this were to happen.

If they go the confiscation route, Dow 2000 might be realistic.

#15     Nov 10, 2008
  6. well the day argentina announced a similar action recently their market dropped 20%

#16     Nov 10, 2008
  7. ipatent

ipatent

It may be voluntary, but any money taken from 401-k and IRA accounts will cause mutual fund redemptions and stock sales which will result in a broad based stock market decline.

So once it starts the market will tank and there will be a stampede to participate, and the government will be encouraging the fearmongering.

#17     Nov 10, 2008
  8. Obviously, that would be the motive for such a proposal, and appears to be what Argentina is doing now. What other rational motive could there be for doing this?

#18     Nov 10, 2008
  9. #19     Nov 10, 2008
  10. achilles28

achilles28

There's no way Congress can pony up dough like that without printing it.

2 Trillion borrowed for 10 years at 3% + TIPS (say 5% gross return).

Thats an extra 50% (1 Trillion) they'd have to produce when the IOU comes due.

Hard to generate returns like that when the money is loaned and invested in companies that work it.

Instead, Congress wants to spend it, then borrow the shortfall...

#20     Nov 10, 2008